Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thread sealant cure

Options
Dave_61
Dave_61 Member Posts: 309
I see that Gasoila is specified for oil line fittings. It says cure time is 24 hours. But what do you do in the wintertime when boiler needs to run? How long is adequate cure time? Thanks

Comments

• realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Options
    The cure time is as short as you need it to be to get the heat on.

The sealant is in the root of the threads.If the threads dont leak, the oil cant get to where the sealant is.
    Mad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan
  • Dave_61
    Dave_61 Member Posts: 309
    Options
    The cure time is as short as you need it to be to get the heat on. The sealant is in the root of the threads.If the threads dont leak, the oil cant get to where the sealant is.
    Makes sense. Thanks 
    Mad Dog_2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    Options
    Cure time, I'll need to ask my daughter, She is a Doctor.

But seriously, the time it takes to put the sealant on the threads, twist the fitting into the pump or filter or heaven forbid, tiger loop, and connect the copper tubing is all I ever waited before I turned on the burner. I allow the curing time to take place while the burner is operating.

Anyone else wait 24 hours for pipe dope?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,866
    Options
    Cure time, I'll need to ask my daughter, She is a Doctor. But seriously, the time it takes to put the sealant on the threads, twist the fitting into the pump or filter or heaven forbid, tiger loop, and connect the copper tubing is all I ever waited before I turned on the burner. I allow the curing time to take place while the burner is operating. Anyone else wait 24 hours for pipe dope?
    At Union rates?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    There is a hard set version that needs a cure time. Ive never seen on shelves
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    Only when using "Expando" on a high-pressure oil line that ran at like 400 deg.
    Intplm.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options
    Only when using "Expando" on a high-pressure oil line that ran at like 400 deg.
    I've been tempted to mix up some expando and try it out.   Rumor on the streets is it's impossible to get back apart.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    old_diy_guy
  • dronefromsector7G
    dronefromsector7G Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I recommend using hydraulic Loctite. I have been using it on #2 diesel for years and it NEVER leaks! If anyone tells you it won't come apart, don't believe them, just tell them to go to the gym.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @ChrisJ

I only used it twice (Expando) and I never had to take an Expando apart. They say on Expando website to have 2 people and put some pressure on the joint with a pipe wrench as if to loosen it then have the other guy tap the fitting all the way around with a hammer.
    ChrisJ
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Put it together and turn it on. Tightened up properly, you will have NO issues.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    I really hate pipe dope questions.

There are no answers except making sure the dope you use is compatible with the type of pipe and the contents of the pipe.

Every poster has a method that works for them.

Why discuss the endless question of what dope to use, how to apply it, weather to use it with Teflon tape or is Blue Monster tape better?. Do you dope the fitting before taping with teflon or do you use the dope first or do you dope tape then dope? What if I use dope with no tape? How about doping the inside of the female threads? etc etc etc?

It's like installing a boiler. We always say the installer is more important than the boiler. Well, the installer is more important than the dope....unless the installer is the dope.

My Sunday rant. Not going to respond to dopey questions anymore :)
    ChrisJSlamDunkMikeAmannIntplm.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options
    I really hate pipe dope questions. There are no answers except making sure the dope you use is compatible with the type of pipe and the contents of the pipe. Every poster has a method that works for them. Why discuss the endless question of what dope to use, how to apply it, weather to use it with Teflon tape or is Blue Monster tape better?. Do you dope the fitting before taping with teflon or do you use the dope first or do you dope tape then dope? What if I use dope with no tape? How about doping the inside of the female threads? etc etc etc? It's like installing a boiler. We always say the installer is more important than the boiler. Well, the installer is more important than the dope....unless the installer is the dope. My Sunday rant. Not going to respond to dopey questions anymore :)
    Yes you are and you know it.

:)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    MikeAmannIntplm.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    edited January 14
    Options
    @ChrisJ , NOPE :)

My next rant will be on Nest thermostat "C" wire :)
    MikeAmannSuperTechIntplm.