Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PVC Repair

Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,609
I am working on a project where we are trying to locate a leak within a circulation pipe on a commercial hot tub. The leak is underground in a 3" Sch 80 PVC pipe. The pipe is in an area where it is running parallel with many other pipes that are so close together that cutting the pipe and coupling it back together would be very difficult. We have unearthed a section of pipe where the leak detection company thought it was leaking but there is no leak at that location.

I would very much like to drill a 1 1/4" hole in the pipe and insert a camera but am not confident that the hole can be repaired.

I am considering the idea of slicing a repair coupling the longways and cementing it over the hole using stainless hose clamps to secure it. My quick math says I can achieve ~2" of overlap around the hole. This idea seems similar to the various saddle connections commonly used on the water pipes. The max water temp in the pipe is ~110 degrees and the pipe at that location should not see more than 2-3 PSI.

Has anyone made repairs like this? Is it crazy to attempt?

TIA

Carl
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    edited December 2023
    Got enough room for a PVC dresser coupling?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Zman
  • Zman
    @pecmsg That product is the basis for what I am considering. I am not sure I have room for more than a hose clamp on the bottom side so I am wondering I can use something like 1/2 of that product without the TEE?
    Albert Einstein
  • Zman
    hot_rod said:

Got enough room for a PVC dresser coupling?

Unfortunately, No...
    Albert Einstein
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,054
    Zman said:
    @pecmsg That product is the basis for what I am considering. I am not sure I have room for more than a hose clamp on the bottom side so I am wondering I can use something like 1/2 of that product without the TEE?
    Large hose clamps
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    Is there enough room to clean and plastic weld the crack / hole?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Zman
  • Zman
    ChrisJ said:

I am much more skilled with primer and cement than plastic welding :# . Would you propose welding the coupler as a patch? Do you think the weld would be significantly better than the split coupler and hose clamps?
    Albert Einstein
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Tap it and screw an npt plug in it.
    Larry WeingartenAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • mattmia2
    It is schedule 80 but how much pressure is it actually?
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 299
    Did exactly what you are thinking once, it held a 5 psi test and lasted until we could make a permanent repair later. I don't know how long it would have lasted.
    Zman
  • Zman
    mattmia2 said:

It is schedule 80 but how much pressure is it actually?

Very little pressure, <3PSI
    Albert Einstein
  • Zman
    mattmia2 said:

I have done that with 1/2" hole. I think that the pipe curvature will be an issue with a tapered plug that big...
    Albert Einstein
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,549
    edited December 2023
    I'm cheap! Did I tell you I'm cheap. This is how I would do it. I would take a piece of pipe that is long enough to cover the hole you want to drill in the pipe plus several inches on each side of the hole. I would cut the piece of pipe the same size as the pipe you want to repair length wise in half.
    I would heat the the half piece of pipe and heat it with a heat gun and form it around a piece of pipe that is the size of pipe you want to patch. The heated patch should fit tightly around the pipe that you want to cover. Prime and glue the half patch onto the pipe with a hole in it and band it, if you wish, with stainless steel bands. Walla! An be sure and give it a tail light warranty. joke

I have done this before and never had a complaint, of course, all complaints are handled by my office in Budapest.
    I think someone may have had this idea. hmmm
    Zman
  • mattmia2
    Zman said:

mattmia2 said:

I have done that with 1/2" hole. I think that the pipe curvature will be an issue with a tapered plug that big...
    I think it will work as long as the plug is tall enough because of the way pvc kind of deforms and seals on itself.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    Zman said:

ChrisJ said:

I am much more skilled with primer and cement than plastic welding :# . Would you propose welding the coupler as a patch? Do you think the weld would be significantly better than the split coupler and hose clamps?
    I was talking about actually welding whatever's leaking closed rather than trying to cut the pipe etc.
    Also welding the hole from the camera closed.

I'd consider plastic welding PVC to be as strong as new undamaged pipe. When done correctly.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mattmia2
    edited December 2023
    You could probably get a slip coupling and cut it in half and solvent weld it over the hole you drill for the camera.

Which is probably what you mean by repair coupling. I thought fernco when i read that.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,054
    When I have to drill and tap PVC use the hub of a fitting. Twice the thickness to tap!
    mattmia2realliveplumber
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,549
    edited December 2023
    You could probably get a slip coupling and cut it in half
    Slip couplings are tapered.
    I have a plastic welder that I got from Harbor Freight and I bought the welding sticks on Amazon, which in your case is PVC. Not difficult to do with a little practice.
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    pecmsg said:

When I have to drill and tap PVC use the hub of a fitting. Twice the thickness to tap!

That is a great idea. We have to install a flow meter for a swimming pool. I would have drilled and tapped the pipe.