Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

4 Story 1 Pipe Steam System

Options
aporta
aporta Member Posts: 3
Hello,

I am looking at buying a building that is 4 apartments, 4 story walk up building on one  heating system (1 pipe steam system). There is 1 steam boiler supplying 4 apartments.

The top apartment is vacant and I intend on gutting it and putting in a mini split system in each room (for top apartment only)

How easy is it to remove the radiators in that top floor apartment? Is it as simple as removing the radiators and capping off the pipes?

Would the 1 pipe system still work in the 3 other apartments without an issue if I did cap off the pipes in top floor apartment? 

The goal long term is to supply mini splits to each apartment as tenants vacate.

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,705
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Yes it's that easy...mostly...but there might be venting on that top floor to quickly let the air exit the risers and you'd have to move that venting to the third floor. And then the boiler will be instantly 25% (more) oversized or so.

But also...yikes...that's a huge change...what part of the world are you in? I will now grab my 🍿 to watch everyone freak out

I assume one of the major reasons for this is so that tenants each pay for their own heating (and they get nice cooling)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    aporta
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,357
    Options
    It will work well enough. No real problem. Except... make sure that the mini-splits which you plan to install have enough electricity available to power them, and that they are able to maintain the required interior temperature at the design temperature of your area. They may struggle to do that, Or just no.t work at all...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    aporta
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,977
    Options
    How did you come to the conclusion to remove the steam heat?
    There are choices you can make without having to remove the steam heating.
  • aporta
    aporta Member Posts: 3
    Options
    It is solely an investment and since it is a value add anyway I will be redoing each apartmemt. Jersey City Heights near Journal Square, the area is on a major appreciation.upside in 10 years
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,357
    Options
    The mini-splits may -- or may not be -- value add. They are if you have window AC. Removing the steam heat is NOT value added. Don't do it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul