Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

They ain't all pretty or ready for the Miss America Pageant..

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    This was a tight budget repipe for retired folks with limited income.  I have before pictures in another phone but it had
    1) A domestic coil almost rotted through.
    2) 1" Copper Eqaulizer that had the water feeder feeding in above the water line.
    3) Boiler takeoff busted down to 2"
    4) Totally blocked P Trol & pigtail. 
    5) Operating pressure 7 psi
    6) Brown splunck gushing out of all the rads & Crappy old main vent.
    7) No Mixing valve on coil.

All good now..running less than 1 psi.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    realliveplumberRusty2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Boiler installed 8 years ago.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    PC7060
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,938
    Oh man Mad Dog, they deserved a horizontal header :sweat_smile:

As we say in NJ, "Just sayin'!"

Does the makeup water care where it's added from?

I'm sure they were happy to have it running better though

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

Mad Dog_2
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Sometimes you just got to get it done.
    Mad Dog_2CLamb
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    I want to see more of the Snow White on Ice pictures

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2Erin Holohan HaskellRusty2PC7060
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,938
    edited November 2023

Sometimes you just got to get it done.

No, because I know Mad Dog cares and wants to do it right. But he says the budget was super tight so I believe him.

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

Mad Dog_2CLambSlamDunk
  • worldclasshvac
    worldclasshvac Member Posts: 15
    Still nicer than most of the new crap I see nowadays 👍👍👍
    Mad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    @Mad Dog_2 that must be the new type of steam vertical header I have been herring about LOL :):)

I like that picture because even though it is wrong it is a perfect example of a boiler piped wrong that will probably work now without an issue.
  • Mad Dog_2
    That's a Long Island 🏝 C.O.D. Oil boiler special...see alot like that when people go without a Contract and a Legit oil company.
    I took a bath 🛁 on the job as it is, had to draw the line. I cut out all the domestic water 💧 and coil mess and repiped.  I died getting the oil coil bolts out.  The new ones went on with High-Temp grease and I also pipe dope both sides of the gasket so the next guy doesn't have to spend 60 minutes chipping it off like I did.  Thanks for the kind words fellas!   Mad Dog 🐕 
    CLambBenDplumberRusty2
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,775
    Sometimes its not feasible to do what you want as not all have the funds to do this. I think the lipstick you put on the pig is just fine Matt. Now at least they have a functioning one.
    Tim
    Mad Dog_2CLamb
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited December 2023
    Mad Dog_2 said:

That's a Long Island 🏝 C.O.D. Oil boiler special...see alot like that when people go without a Contract and a Legit oil company.
    I took a bath 🛁 on the job as it is, had to draw the line. I cut out all the domestic water 💧 and coil mess and repiped.  I died getting the oil coil bolts out.  The new ones went on with High-Temp grease and I also pipe dope both sides of the gasket so the next guy doesn't have to spend 60 minutes chipping it off like I did.  Thanks for the kind words fellas!   Mad Dog 🐕 

That gasket will still leak in 5 years.... I don't know why, but every tankless coil boiler I installed. I would snug up the bolts. A year later, I would go back for the "free tune-up" I included in the boiler install contract, and found the bolts were loose. Retorque them and sign up the customer for a maintenance plan. The free tune up was a way to get in the door to sell the maintenance agreement. Worked over 86% of the time. Sold lots of maintenance plans that way. Those orange gaskets must shrink a lot over the first 500 hours of use.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,233
    The truly knowledgeable steam expert can usually figure out where the limits are and be able to get a good functioning system even if it isn't absolutely by the book. Kudos to you Mad Dog!!!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    ScottSecorMad Dog_2