Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question about zero pressure reading on vaporstat gauge.

Options
rsel04
rsel04 Member Posts: 21
Hi, I've got a fairly new boiler install with a vaporstat. Vaporstat is set to 10oz on Main and 2oz on cutoff. My question is why doesn't the pressure gauge off the vaporstat register any pressure. Is it simply that the thermostat is being satisfied before enough pressure builds up to register on the gauge. I assume thats a good thing if the system needs so little pressure to work but concerned that maybe the gauge is not working properly.

I have a 2 pipe system using a PB boiler with 3 inch drop-header. Boiler install and piping was done by knowledgable steam guy and system seems to work well but just want to determine if gauge might be bad or clogged or if its just due to system being efficient.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,378
    Options
    How is the gauge piped in, and what is its range? It is quite possible that the system is operating on only a few ounces, and that won't register unless the gauge is made for low pressure (say 0 to 3 psi). And if all that is true, then be very happy -- your system would seem to be correctly sized and working well!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaulIntplm.
  • rsel04
    Options
    Here's an image. It is a low pressure gauge that goes from 0-5 psi.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,926
    Options
    Does the home get heat in all the radiators? if the home is balanced and you are comfortable in every room.... then it ain't Broke! So don't try to fix it!!!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,708
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Nice Peerless should give a lot of service. Make sure to minimize steam and water leaks, to minimize having to add water. Consider adding a minimal amount of water treatment like "8-way" to get the PH to 10 or 11 (as determined with inexpensive PH testing strips from Amazon). This will greatly reduce the corrosion rate.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • rsel04
    Options
    Thanks. I will take your advice on the PH. So far I haven't had to add much water to the system. It's an old Richardson 2 pipe system that I think may be starting work as it was meant to.
    Had some pitch problems that I recently fixed with some of the feed and return pipes that were not original. Finally got all the radiators working. At this point I'll just assume that the lack of pressure build up is a good thing.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    @rsel04

Sounds like you had the right size boiler installed
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,708
    Options
    You don't have to assume...it is a good thing
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    rsel04