Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crack in cap to an old steam pipe concern

Options
Alexnyu10
Alexnyu10 Member Posts: 37
edited November 2023 in Strictly Steam
dear group, 

this year we had one of the radiators removed from our upstairs because the room was always hot even with the radiator turned fully off (enough heat easily rose from main level to heat it (this is a single pipe steam system in a residential home) and we had the old radiator pipe capped on the main level where the pipe used to go up to second floor. 

I noticed this morning that the cap has a crack forming on it, and I’m trying to figure out if this is normal or am “oh ****” moment that requires a plumber sooner than later. 

Thanks so much for your guidance as always, I plan to message my plumber a pic tomorrow as well but figured I would ask here today to see if it’s urgent enough for a weekend call. 

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,017
    Options
    Thats extremely odd.  Malleable black Iron will rarely split like that unless it's on a seam. Cast Iron will do that. I wouldn't be super concerned. Just throw a bucket over it until he comes.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Alexnyu10
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Is that a crack or a casting seam?
    Ed you may be right. My spouse is also convinced it’s a casting seam and was always like that; so maybe I am jumping the gun and it’s actually always looked this way. Either way I’m going to work on getting mad dog 2 out here to assess my system. 
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,977
    Options
    It's not a crack. That is a seem from when the thing was cast.
    So, I guess you could say its not a crack until it leaks.
    Alexnyu10
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,567
    Options
    Just the casting seam not a crack
    Alexnyu10
  • Alexnyu10
    Options
    Very much appreciate everyone’s help here, incredible peace of mind, I love this forum!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,365
    Options
    That's what I was going to say. Beat me to it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Alexnyu10
  • Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Looks like the casting seam, but a way to test it, while the heat is running hold a spoon or a mirror over it, any steam leak will condense on the surface.
    Alexnyu10Mad Dog_2Intplm.
  • Alexnyu10
    Options
    Neild5 said:
    Looks like the casting seam, but a way to test it, while the heat is running hold a spoon or a mirror over it, any steam leak will condense on the surface.
    This is a great idea, will test this out for extra peace of mind 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,017
    Options
    I'm going with a crack. Look at the side of the cap..Little hunk out of it. Mad Dog 🐕 
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Hmm, hard to tell from here. Drag a fingernail over it. Run a file over it. Is it an innie or an outie?
    I DIY.
    CLamb
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    Options
    WMno57 said:

Hmm, hard to tell from here. Drag a fingernail over it. Run a file over it. Is it an innie or an outie?

Don't you think that is getting a little personal

I prefer the innies personally, Just saying, since you mentioned it

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060WMno57Neild5
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Options
    Casting seam.