Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Supply Pipe, Filling space/cavity/gap around pipe

Options
ranzerox
ranzerox Member Posts: 52
Hello,

I'm reviving an old topic and filling the space around a radiator supply pipe please. This time, i'm looking for a solution that provides some soundproofing. I think we can use mineral wood but I don't expect that to provide soundproofing. Wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Thanks!

Comments

• PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Do you mean the small gap around the pipe penetration through floor?
  • ranzerox
    Options
    @PC7060 , yes!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,343
    Options
    How big a gap are we talking here? And what is the wall material? If it's a smallish gap -- quarter to half an inch -- I'd use patching plaster.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    I would fill it with mineral wool or fiberglass and put a pipe escutcheon over it. You want something moveable for expansion and contraction.

Why the soundproofing what noise are you trying to muffle. If it is pipe banging this is not the fix
    ethicalpaulranzerox
  • ranzerox
    Options
    @Jamie Hall the gap could be as large as 1.5". The walls and ceilings are plaster. Mud could work but I think they'll be too much movement. Long haul wise may not be lasting solution. thanks
  • ranzerox
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed mineral wool would work good, just not confident in its ability to block sound transmission. not concerned about the banging but the the room sound. If I could use some sound sealant or caulk, i would. I found some sealant that looks interesting but doubt I can fll a 1.5" void with it. thanks

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,343
    Options
    I'd plaster that gap. But then, plaster patching is one of the odd little skills I've had to learn... I've done some gaps like that. You do have to get some reinforcement in there, but that's easy enough. If the pipe can move at all, though -- and most can -- what you don't want is for the plaster to adhere to the pipe -- so a nice coating of a release agent (almost any oil will do) on the pipe.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ranzerox
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    1” wall thickness fiberglass pipe insulation, then escutcheon
    Hi temperature expanding foam?
    Either will sound insulate and allow pipe movement
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ranzerox
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,714
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    1” wall thickness fiberglass pipe insulation, then escutcheon Hi temperature expanding foam? Either will sound insulate and allow pipe movement
    Melamine foam pipe insulation may work better in this case.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ranzerox
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I’ve used this Techlite brand. They used to send out free samples.

https://techlite.com/insulation/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJ