Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

So Easy To Blame The Boiler

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 659
edited November 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
imageSo Easy To Blame The Boiler

A homeowner posted a question on The Wall at HeatingHelp.com about a drumroll sound that was coming from his brand-new steam boiler. What could it be? The answer will surprise you.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Yes ! I guess that is pretty funny ! I took it as a challenge to correct an age old problem as I've been doing for too many years.Hope "Woody" wasn't too disappointed!
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,347

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited November 2023
    OMG... Same problem with a new gas furnace at a mobil home park. After installing a new Furnace and Roof Jack, the customer called the veery next day with a noise complaint. I arrived to find no noise. The next day... Same thing. This went on for a week. Finally I asked the homeowner to write down what time every morning the noise happened and for how long. A week later I reviewed the log book with the home owner and found that the sound happened about the same time every morning for about 15 minutes. funny thing was that the time changed about a minute or two later each morning.

Remembering my Earth Science Class from High School, I thought about what might change a minute or two from one day top the next. "Sun Rise"

I asked the homeowner: the next time you heat the noise, Go outside and look at the new vent on the roof. Sure enough..... WOODPECKER....
    I told the customer that I usually charge $125.00 extra for a clock thermostat, but he can have that new alarm clock for free.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

MikeAmannWMno57
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    They will bang on the darndest things. Metal pipes. Columns. Trim pieces. Never mind trees...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 345
    Ha! As coincidence would have it, I'm a boiler manufacturer with a quarry about a mile from my house. This description is almost exactly what we experience. We have a close knit neighborhood, and everyone knows the quarry schedule so my neighbors haven't asked me for help. Great article about the woodpecker, too!
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.