Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need suggestion for a small, superior sump pump

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Little Giants are not lasting more than a year.  This is regular groundwater.  This basement has major groundwater problems but when these pumps work the 6 - 8" Round, 10" pits keep the basement dry.  Anybody have a more durable brand?  The key is it can't be very wide and needs a built in float switch.  Thanks Guys Mad Dog 
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,775
    edited October 2023
    will a Zoeller M53 or 57 fit. They have always been pretty well regarded. Just looked, too big. The model 73 is max width 8.125 if that will make it.
    Tim
    Intplm.Mad Dog_2
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,775
    Matt, you and this thing are probably the most reliable they could get. Might need a chair for part of the time. Don't where shoes and that will be the auto switch, feet wet, pump!
    Tim

MikeAmannCBRobMad Dog_2pecmsg
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    edited October 2023
    I have one of those pumps in a custom sink in the shop that's been handling sink water for 3 years now and we have another handling ground water.  I've used them in other applications for customers as well 

The only time I've had issues with that model pump is when someone installed them with a check valve without drilling an air bleed valve.

The pressure switch can also get plugged in the tiny hole that lets water into the switch.

I've also found one with the vent to the switch packed with mud.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Mad Dog_2
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122
    "Zoeller" pumps. Petty good. Worth a look.
    Mad Dog_2
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    There are models with a vertical float switch. The float rises along a rod.
    Harbor Freight has them. Mine is working well.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/plumbing/pumps/sump-pumps.html
    Mad Dog_2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Liberty still builds big motor cast iron sump pumps, a NY company
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mad Dog_2SuperTech
  • ChrisJ
    Here's the holes I'm talking about on Little Giant's pressure activated switch.

The small one on the plug end is the vent.
    Inside the actual switch housing is just a diaphragm that pushes against a switch.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Mad Dog_2
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 668
    I would use something like https://www.hydrocheckproducts.com/product-page/hc6000-hi-low-sump-controller-dual-float

so you now have many more choices of manual pumps to choose from since you don't have the account for float dimensions.
    Derheatmeister
  • ChrisJ
    dko said:

I would use something like https://www.hydrocheckproducts.com/product-page/hc6000-hi-low-sump-controller-dual-float

so you now have many more choices of manual pumps to choose from since you don't have the account for float dimensions.

Sears was selling something like that in the late 1970s-early 80s.

I never heard anything about it really so I assumed it was something that didn't really work great. Do you have experience with them and real world use?
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    edited October 2023
    ChrisJ said:

dko said:

Sears was selling something like that in the late 1970s-early 80s.

I never heard anything about it really so I assumed it was something that didn't really work great. Do you have experience with them and real world use?
    I have one of these. Simer brand. It still works. Very interesting circuit inside - uses neon bulbs.
    Here is a newer version: https://pumpbiz.com/hc6000-electronic-float-switch-watcher-hc6000
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    perhaps the small pit is making it short cycle itself to death.
    PC7060SuperTech
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,237
    edited October 2023
    Hello Matt,

If you have a 4-5 gallon round pail all you need to do is drill 1/4" holes in it 2 inches apart all the way around and down to the base to protect the pump and place the pump on a brick and your pump will last much, much longer and not be plugged with silt.

We used the New York state made liberty pumps for years to dry out the rear 12 acres of my fathers old property.
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,279
    mattmia2 said:
    perhaps the small pit is making it short cycle itself to death.
    Agree, can the pits be deepened?  Assume increasing diameter is out of the question. 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Don't want to punch through the slab because it was a special engineered design and there are very active springs underneath.  I did find a skinny pump only
     7 1/2"s wide.. Pro Series ?  The water is not gushing in...its a slow overnight infiltration, so I don't think its short cycling.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    mattmia2PC7060SuperTech
  • mattmia2
    I've never had to babysit a sump pump but a zoeller pump came sitting in the basement with my house and it looks to be of superior construction.
    Mad Dog_2
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,279
    edited October 2023
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    Don't want to punch through the slab because it was a special engineered design and there are very active springs underneath.  I did find a skinny pump only
     7 1/2"s wide.. Pro Series ?  The water is not gushing in...it’s a slow overnight infiltration, so I don't think it’s short cycling.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    Wonder why the engineer didn’t just run lines into a single large tank (think cistern) with an access port. Seems much more robust design especially with two pumps.  Pesky short sited designers.   ;)
  • ChrisJ
    mattmia2 said:
    I've never had to babysit a sump pump but a zoeller pump came sitting in the basement with my house and it looks to be of superior construction.
    I'm not sure if Zoeller is better than little giant or not.  Id call them both good pumps though the one Mad Dog is using is called a utility pump not a sump pump.  It's only 1/6 hp and it's cast aluminum.   It's far from a cheap pump considering it's size 

Little Giant has plenty of expensive pumps that are very well made, no less than Zoeller in my opinion

• Mad Dog_2
    I like Little Giant, but Zoeller is the Gold Standard around here.  Mad dog 🐕 
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,628
    Zoeller. Hands down. I just replaced a ten year old one at home and bought a new float switch for the one that failed. Keep it as a back up.

I installed one at work, in 2009,that pumps soapy hot water out of a pit. Still running.
    mattmia2
  • ChrisJ
    edited October 2023
    SlamDunk said:
    Zoeller. Hands down. I just replaced a ten year old one at home and bought a new float switch for the one that failed. Keep it as a back up. I installed one at work, in 2009,that pumps soapy hot water out of a pit. Still running.
    The house I grew up in had a 1964 Sears Homart pump in one of the two pits still running fine in 2006.

10 years doesn't seem very impressive.

That used two weights on a cable and the switch drove a relay.

I think it was rated 50 gpm @ 20'

• SlamDunk
    ChrisJ said:

SlamDunk said:

Zoeller. Hands down. I just replaced a ten year old one at home and bought a new float switch for the one that failed. Keep it as a back up.

I installed one at work, in 2009,that pumps soapy hot water out of a pit. Still running.

The house I grew up in had a 1964 Sears Homart pump in one of the two pits still running fine in 2006.

10 years doesn't seem very impressive.

Where can I get one?
  • mattmia2
    but the 1964 sears was a pedestal pump, right?
  • ChrisJ
    edited October 2023
    mattmia2 said:
    but the 1964 sears was a pedestal pump, right?

Same as $540 today for a half horse.

It was also the quietest pump I've ever seen.... Or heard I guess.

Their Flex -O-pipe was black polyethylene. Ours still had the original setup.
  • mattmia2
    interesting that the catalog numbers are different than the model numbers
  • ChrisJ
    mattmia2 said:
    interesting that the catalog numbers are different than the model numbers
    Where are you seeing model numbers on that?
  • SlamDunk
    The one that came with this house was a pedestal pump but it wasnt quiet. It was all galvanized pipe and ran to the sewer. It had sealed glass floats that screwed in like light bulbs. They're yard ornaments now.
    ChrisJmattmia2
  • mattmia2
    ChrisJ said:

Where are you seeing model numbers on that?

I'm not, that was what my comment was about. The model number would b 3 digits and a period followed by more numbers. The first 3 numbers would tell us who made it if we had the model number.