Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help! Attack of the pinhole leaks.

2»

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,963
    I'm with you, @ChrisJ . Further, no one seems to be following up on water quality... or exterior contaminants getting on the pipe, like cement dust...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097

I'm with you, @ChrisJ . Further, no one seems to be following up on water quality... or exterior contaminants getting on the pipe, like cement dust...

Silly idea but.

If there was insulation on that pipe, and a coal bin near by, would that explain this?

I doubt that's the situation but I seem to recall coal dust being corrosive to copper or am I remembering wrong?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,702
    As you can see it would take a troubleshooter with many skill sets to determine pin hole causes, plumbing, electrical, chemistry. Plus time and patience, and equipment to perform all the tests. And $$!

With water quality, it can change from time to time. Based on the source, the chemicals used at the treatment facility. Was the dosers out of spec for a period of time?

My city water report notes that the water numbers will change over the year. They now show a range for hardness, and other readings instead of a specific number. On other tests it indicates within EPA range, with no specific number?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream