Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

black iron pipe in hydronic system megapress/propress question, prep for worst case

PeteA
PeteA Member Posts: 180
edited September 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
I finally started the work changing out my old boiler and replacing the large pipe gravity system that I've picked quite a few of your brains about in the past. So far so good all of the demo work is done and now I'm planning on proceeding with the new home runs of pex al pex and the boiler piping etc. My plan was/is to pick up the various black iron radiator feed pipes in the basement. Some are 1/2" some are 3/4" all of the new pex al pex I'm installing will be 1/2".

My worst case scenario I'm trying to prepare for is:
If I can't get the elbow or coupling or stub of pipe off of the existing black iron pipe is there a proper mega press fitting or propress fitting that I can use to connect a new piece of pipe to pick up the 1/2 pipe I would install my pex al pex compression fitting to? I'd prefer to not be forced to drop back to the last fitting before the pipe goes vertical out of the basement and into the upper floors so I am trying to plan for the worst and if I can't get a fitting to come off can I just cut into a straight piece of pipe and press a fitting on at that point or do I have to resort to threading in place (i hope there's a press option, since I only have a manual threader :wink: )? I realize if it gets to a SHTF situation I could always go all the way to the radiators with the PEX but that is not an easy option either since all the piping is behind walls but of course it's always an option.

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,938
    If they are 1/2 and 3/4 then you should be able to get them off with a couple nice long pipe wrenches in the 18" range (add cheater as necessary).

I'm a weak nerd and I never had to resort to cutting even 2" pipe and fittings and I undid quite a few of them.

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

PeteAMad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan
  • PeteA
    Thanks @ethicalpaul I am prepared with a couple of good size wrenches and I'm pretty decent at turning a wrench but I was asking you pro's in advance for the worst case scenario. You have given me big hope that this may actually work out and come together. I do tend to overthink stuff sometimes but it helps me be prepared.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    I agree with @ethicalpaul

With the smaller pipe it shouldn't be a huge issue getting the fittings apart. You will be bankrupt with the price of Mega Press fittings.
    Mad Dog_2PeteAethicalpaul
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    If you can slide a rod or smaller piece of pipe inside the pipe it will help support it and keep the wrench from collapsing it and they will come out easier.
    Mad Dog_2PeteA
  • PeteA
    Thanks @EBEBRATT-Ed I've got 2 big wrenches so I'm going to go with the leverage and strength efforts. I was only looking for the press option as a possibility if one or two either crush or just don't budge. I completely agree that the price of press on a large scale does get prohibitive but I always like to prepare for the worst once I start something.

@mattmia2 thanks for the tip but unfortunately nearly all of the fittings are either at the 45 or at a 90 so I really don't have much space to push a rod or smaller pipe into it. I would imagine that works well at a coupling and I will def keep this in mind for any spots with straighter pipe.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    I also agree with @ethicalpaul. Especially about the nerd part. But How did you get this "Looker" as a helper.
    Can't be all that nerdy

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PeteAMad Dog_2ethicalpaulIntplm.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    My computer Geeks are all nerds 🤓...can't live without em these days !!!  Mad Dog 🐕 
    ethicalpaulPeteA
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,938
    edited September 2023
    It's better to be lucky than good, am I right? Thanks gang for making me smile today

You got this, Pete, 1/2 and 3/4 won't be able to stand up to you

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

Intplm.PeteA
  • PeteA
    so far so good. @ethicalpaul In between working on all of the near boiler piping I gave 2 of the fittings a try and they both came off intact so fingers crossed that when I go after the other 5 I get the same or similar results.

Thanks for everyones advice and tips. It's really appreciated.