Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Gas Steam Boiler fitted to Old existing steel pipes

Options
Brand new Steam boiler was put in with old steel pipes; water that came out was very dirty ; what does the old rust do to the new boiler that got fed with rusty dirty water. I was told that is ok. Really? What is the worst-case scenario?

Pipes look o.k. on the outside. I just need to clean and paint them.
Mad Dog_2

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,153
    Options
    I don't understand the reason for your query, I believe you had a reputable contractor install the new boiler. The rusty water from the old pipes must have been drained out of the system in order to disconnect the old boiler. That would leave no rusty water left in the pipes. If there was any muddy rusty sludge left in the pipes, I'm sure a reputable contractor would have flushed that junk out of the old pipes.

When the new boiler gets new water in it, that water will make its own rust over time. If you are concerned with that, I might recommend that you have the wet returns flushed out every spring. Then fill the boiler with water above the water line for the summer. then at start up in the fall, lower the water level to the proper water line and operate normally.

Or you can do what most folks do, Just keep operating it until there is a noticeable problem. then get that fixed.

By the way... Did you ever get an Energy Star sticker to put on your new boiler? Just askin' for a friend.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,192
    Options
    Hmmmm. Mad Dog 🐕 
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,386
    Options
    You should steam clean the insides of the old pipes :) . Was the near boiler piping replaced?
    I DIY.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Please post pictures of this changeout.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,534
    Options
    And the best way to steam clean the inside of the old pipes is... run the boiler. Piping in a steam system which is above the boiler water line -- all the mains and, if you have, dry returns, does get a light film of rust. It's unlikely that you will have a problem with them, unless there is the odd low spot in a return which traps a little water. The pipes below the water line, however, do tend to accumulate rust and gunk. If one is concerned, the best way to handle that is to flush it out with a hose -- but that assumes the pipes are arranged to do that, which they usually aren't. Otherwise, sooner or later, you may find that one of the old wet returns has developed leaks, and then the best thing to do is to simply replace it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,153
    Options
    WMno57 said:

You should steam clean the insides of the old pipes :) . Was the near boiler piping replaced?

I would get a steam boiler and run that steam thru the system. That should steam clean those pipes, dont you think @WMno57 ?

I mentioned that to my son one day, he commented how clean the old steam mains looked on a job where we removed an old boiler. I told him that I had them steam cleaned before we removed them. He looked at me with that adoring glare that said A$$???? without saying a word.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

WMno57
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,818
    Options
    Instead of painting the pipe , insulate them .

Oil may be a problem after a insulation which is harder to remove ..

If the water turns muddy , it is a indication of steam leaks ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.