Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil to gas retrofit/ tune to max efficiency

griffinbr
griffinbr Member Posts: 7
edited September 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
Top of the morning everyone been following Dan Holohan and I am a fan! Love hydronic’s !!..I am planning on adding a boiler buddy or buffer tank not sure if anyone has any other ideas that would be more cost effective…? but wanted to get any direction on how I can have this 300 PB purefire running most efficiently, should I change the piping to go directly off of the boiler to the indirect, like in the IBR photo?
. The delta T with just the Indirect is 30, with firing rate turned down down. Using a three speed GF circulator. Not sure if I should pipe indirect Like the photo IBR references? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    Why are you not using Peerless specs?
    griffinbr
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Dude. I'm trying to eat.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

SuperTech
  • griffinbr
    edited September 2023

• griffinbr
    So the manual specs have the pressure relief valve mounted on the return side for pf300 and 399*?(
    Little confusing) however, these differ from the other one *this PB pf300 is a rev2 does anyone know if that means safety relief valve should be mounted on the return side? 
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,055
    edited September 2023
    I see the TPR on the supply side!!
    griffinbr
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    If the goal is to lower fuel cost, start with the efficiency if the structure.
    Next operate the boiler at the lowest, safest temperature.
    Short cycling kills efficiency, ODR can help with that
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • griffinbr
    RE-piped to Peerless specifications running like a Champ 💪🏼!! Appreciate the support and feedback fellas.. excuse the wiring just had to get hot water back on.. flushed with sentinel 400 and about to drain system to do X 100 treatment. This baby just chugs along and the condensate it spits out is unbelievable improvement from what It was doing before.
  • griffinbr
    Having some trouble with the returns off the manifold, the Bell and Gossets circulator flanges they are check, trolls so having pump on the return I can’t get a solid flow. Any suggestions; I was thinking swap out for regular circulation flange’s and possibly run into ghost flow? Or mount circulators on supply side and pump away? Any help would be appreciated 

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    The check flanges need to be on the discharge side of the circ, not the inlet. Is that how you have them?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • griffinbr
    edited September 2023
    Yes Hot Rod the flanges are on the discharge side. I tried it this morning first thing and it started purging perfectly. Not sure what had happened.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    I think your check valves are likely airlocked. It's a good idea to have purge ports on both sides of a loop with check valves.

A few tips on your installation:
    • Wet-rotor circulators should be installed with the shaft oriented horizontally.
    • Less is more when it comes to solder and flux, Once the entire fitting has taken solder, try filling gaps as the pipe cools. You will end up with less solder inside the pipe and a cleaner look.
    • Allthread pipe supports are better used vertically or in very short lengths. Unistrut might help in your installation.
    • MC wiring would give you a more durable and professional installation over Romex.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    griffinbrSuperTech
  • griffinbr
    Appreciate the feedback! Any suggestions for relay boards? Had a bad 306p Teckmar out of the box, would not pull 10 volts with my meter on + and -. Tech support said that it happens sometimes. 
    neilc