Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How can I adjust the amount of hot water available?

Options
Rickthomas77777
Rickthomas77777 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2023 in Oil Heating

Hello, this is the type of oil burner I have. When I try to fill my tub, the hot water runs out in about 2 minutes and goes very cold. How can I adjust this so I at least have enough water to fill a normal sized tub? 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,357
    Options
    That has nothing to do with the burner...

What generates your hot water? Is it stored anywhere? Common systems include a hot water coil in the boiler, with no storage or a separate storage tank which has a heating element in it controlled by the boiler. Then there is the control for the whole thing. There may also be a mixing valve on the system.

Need to know a lot more about what makes your water hot and where it is stored, if anywhere, and how it is controlled.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Fill tub slow, or get a buffer tank. Or start over.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,705
    Options
    Separate your hot water heating from your home heating so you don't have to run that steam boiler all summer. There is a nice variety of standalone water heater technologies out there.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Larry WeingartenMikeAmann
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,308
    Options
    Hi @Rickthomas77777 , You have many options, depending on what you have and what you can consider. There may be a plumbing crossover problem as Jamie implied and/or the coil in the boiler might need to be descaled. Maybe it would be cleaner to separate the domestic water heating from the space heating as Ethical Paul suggests. I think to help we need to round up some more info about your situation.

Yours, Larry
    ethicalpaul