Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

While Vacationing

Options
JakeCK
JakeCK Member Posts: 1,357
Been vacationing out west, currently in Ouray Co. (Pronounced ur-ray with a silent O, the locals are very particular about that.) And I found this while shopping at the local grocery store. Not only is the building from the late 1800's with wood floors, take a look at the meat display cooler, that according to the butcher is the original that the store opened with a hundred years ago. I don't know how accurate the age is but I never knew GM made coolers and owned Frigidaire. 

WMno57Mad Dog_2Erin Holohan HaskellAlan (California Radiant) Forbes

Comments

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,305
    Options
    Pretty cool Jake. I have an International Harvester chest freezer, refrigerator, and de-humidifier. All made in Evansville Indiana in the 1950s.

I DIY.
    JakeCKMad Dog_2
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options
    A few years ago my oldest son was telling on his younger brother during dinner and told us he said the F word.

I said "You said Frigidaire in my house?!?!"

This is a Monitor top house, we don't use the F word...

But yes, GM owned them and they invented Freon. 
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    JakeCKGGross
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    Options
    A GM engineer wrote the common refrigeration textbook. GM created and owned Frigidaire unti lsometime in the 70's. Chrysler owned Airtemp, Ford owned Philco(although i think it was more rebranding than manufacturing appliances) and AMC owned Kelvinator. GM did a lot of refrigeration R&D.

That case is probably right around wwii plus or minus a decade.
    JakeCK
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    Amazing!
    Retired and loving it.
  • ChrisJ
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Looking closer at that id call it 1940s or 50s. Probably 50s.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,994
    Options
    I have a "Saw Action" in the Korean Conflict 
    M 1 Garand made by International Harvester.  It's amazing how quickly American companies could turn around, retool their factory 🏭 and mKe totally unrelated high quality products. American Ingenuity!   Mad Dog 🐕 

WMno57
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    A great mountain town to visit

Nice hot springs in that area also
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JakeCK
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    Options
    I remember that Frigidaire logo on my mothers refrigerator when I was about 6 years old. That became the basement (Beer) refrigerator when we moved to the new house when I was 7 years old. Those old style metal ice cube trays with the lever handle were really interesting. "Who forget to fill the Ice Tray?" was one of my mothers standard sayings in the 1960s

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    I agree with @ChrisJ looks like 1940s. It's not 100 years old. Could have an open drive compressor probably R-12.

My brother had a 1911 45 from WWII. Made by Singer Sewing Machine. Unfortunately, he sold it needed the $$ when his two girls went to college.
    WMno57Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Ed...thats funny you mentioned the Singer Sewing machine Company.  My buddy from California was just telling me about them.  Supposedly they are only 600 made?
    I sold my Electric Bass Collection And Amps when Matt Jr entered engineering school.  Didn't get much but it was more symbolic than anything...time to fully grow up!  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    Options
    Removed a sidearm fuse box with the trademark of "Winchester" on the door. The owner wanted it for his son who collected firearms.

Have my wife's grandfather's nail on ice skates that have the " Winchester" trademark on them.

Our family passed down an 1897 12 GA pump and similar 22 pump.

Both had exposed hammers.

The 1897s were used in the trenches of WW1.

If I read correctly, the Germans complained to the Geneva Convention for the use of such a weapon.
    You could pump out 6 12 GA shots and kill or main maybe a dozen soldiers. It wasn't "fair" to have such a deadly weapon.

They, who had belt fed 30 to 50 cal machine guns and could mow down an advancing line of soldiers.
    Let alone a variety of gas weapons.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited August 2023
    Options
    The Hubris of them!  Wow that's a cool story.  My deepest knowledge of Military history in Vietnam first, WW II, second, Korea 3rd and WW I the least.  That being said I took a great History Class at Stony Brook SOLELY on WW I...Learned so much.  The Trench warfare was as Brutal as it gets...flooded, freezing 🥶, flies in the summer, maggots.. dead comrades decomposing next to you...Trench Rats 🐀 Feeding on the bodies..a real life Dante's Inferno.  

WW I Trivia question 🤔........What was Brigadier General Douglas Mac Arthur's sole weapon of choice to carry as he lead from the Front?  Mad Dog  🐕 
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    British Bulldog pistol...WAG
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Nope..keep guessing...will blow your mind...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Colt Model 1903, given to him as superintendent of West Point. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Cast iron skillet 12".

• hot_rod
    Options
    Bayonet?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Mace and chain?
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    I tend to believe Dan o:)

Yours, Larry
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Very good Guesses ....Ready?  Nothing more than a Riding Crop (small, English Style  horse whip).  He was also nominated for the Congressional Medal of Honor 🎖 THREE times, finally getting it for the Pacific Theater efforts in (Phillipines) WW I I, joining his father, Arthur Mac Arthur (at Missionary Ridge, American 🇺🇸 Civil War)  in that Legion of Honor 🎖.   Till this day, one of only two  Father & Son Medal of Honor 🎖 winners! T.R. & his Son too!  Additionally, Douglas was one of the first, of only 5, 5 Star Generals (General of the Army) Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    There's the famous Riding Crop tucked under his arm.  That Brig.Gen Mac Arthur receiving the Distinguished Service Cross ✝️ by none other than General John J "Black Jack" Pershing, another U.S. Army Giant.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited August 2023
    Options
    He graduated first in his class in 1903 At The Point.  He became Superindent right after WW I and greatly modernized everything.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    He was also a Tremendous enthusiast and Supporter of Army Football. He was in regular contact with the Coaches throughout his life via Letters of encouragement and ideas 💡 and opinions on Game strategy and offensive plays, Defensive formations and coverage.  He had real world experience here. Master War Planner and strategist. His Defensive plan of the Phillipines thwarted the Japanese longer than they expected.  His Bold, extremely risky, audacious, stunning and brilliant Amphibious Landing at Inchon in Korea, turned The North Koreans on their heads and he then chased them all the way back over the Yalu River in to China.  General Mac Arthur's Military exploits are studied today in all Military acadamies & The Army War College along with Julius Caesar,  Hannibal, Ludendorf, Rommell, Patton, Swarzkopf and the other greats of History .  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Before putting MacArthur up for sainthood, we should remember he ordered the attack on the

jobless/homeless WW1 vets, as they demonstrated demanding their war bonus, were camped near the capitol buildings of D.C. during the 1930's.

Involved in the attack were also Patton and Dwight D. "Ike".

The vets were promised a bonus after the war but it was not showing up.

2 were killed and 60 injured.

One killed did get his bonus of $550 or so sent to his brother.

FDR considered this action would help him win the election...which it did.

Try this on the homeless of today. :o
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    How about we go back to talking old refrigerators before this gets more political. Thanks. 
    Retired and loving it.
    ChrisJJUGHNEGrallertErin Holohan Haskell
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    How about we go back to talking old refrigerators before this gets more political. Thanks. 
    I've literally been waiting 12 years for you to say that ......

PC7060mattmia2
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks for your patience with me. 
    Retired and loving it.
    Grallertmattmia2
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    Very good Guesses ....Ready?  Nothing more than a Riding Crop (small, English Style  horse whip).  He was also nominated for the Congressional Medal of Honor 🎖 THREE times, finally getting it for the Pacific Theater efforts in (Phillipines) WW I I, joining his father, Arthur Mac Arthur (at Missionary Ridge, American 🇺🇸 Civil War)  in that Legion of Honor 🎖.   Till this day, one of only two  Father & Son Medal of Honor 🎖 winners! T.R. & his Son too!  Additionally, Douglas was one of the first, of only 5, 5 Star Generals (General of the Army) Mad Dog 🐕 
    Some stories tell that he carried a small 22 hand gun in his pocket at all times.

Last defense and to to avoid being captured alive
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    Cool! :)

Yours, Larry
    ChrisJGGross
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Can't we all enjoy a little American History along with our plumbing and heating discussions?? ..its all connected.  That's how we all get out of our own "universe" and stretch our minds a bit...NO? I learn from everyone here...much more than just heating... I'm well  aware of the criticisms of these remarkable, but not perfect,  Americans. Name ANY historically significant person, and SOMEONE has a beef with them...Mother Teresa, Notorious RBG, Dr. King...included.....I don't Inject politics to stir up arguments, but apparently some can't help themselves. Peace ✌ ☮ 🕊 Mad Dog 
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    apparently some can't help themselves

So true

NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    JUGHNEdkoChrisJ
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Great Britain, must be the 220 volt, 50 Hertz model.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    No where near as old as the model JackCK posted, but we had a PhilcoFord (sp) when I was a kid. I'm guessing it was from the early 1960's and it lasted well into the 2000's.

I'm guessing Ford simply put their name on it for brand recognition? Anybody know the story?
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,305
    Options
    Philco (an acronym for Philadelphia Battery Company) was an American electronics manufacturer headquartered in Philadelphia. Philco was a pioneer in battery, radio, and television production. In 1961, the company was purchased by Ford and, from 1966, renamed "Philco-Ford". Ford sold the company to GTE in 1974 ...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philco
    I DIY.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    @WMno57 that makes sense. The more I think about it, the refrigerator we had was probably built the late sixties when the house my parents purchased was updated.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Great Britain, must be the 220 volt, 50 Hertz model.

There were no 220V monitor tops.
    They were 50Hz, and shipped with a transformer. You can tell by the model ending with a *15 vs the 60Hz which is *16.

mattmia2
  • ChrisJ
    edited August 2023
    Options

No where near as old as the model JackCK posted, but we had a PhilcoFord (sp) when I was a kid. I'm guessing it was from the early 1960's and it lasted well into the 2000's.

I'm guessing Ford simply put their name on it for brand recognition? Anybody know the story?

The unit Jakeck posted is from the 1950s. It's not terribly old.

Ford owned Philco at one point. I don't know how or why, but I can find out.

• ChrisJ
    Options
    @ScottSecor

Philco (an acronym for Philadelphia Battery Company. They started in 1892
    On December 11, 1961, Ford Motor Company purchased Philco