Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This weeks case

RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,596
Im not going to say the name of the case but will give you the setup. I was a 4th year apprentice and sent to the "Office from Hell" They were the most miserable people I ever encountered. They had a pneumatic thermostat in the space and the people would fight over the control of it. One would set it for 60 and another would set it for 80. The owner tried thermostat covers and the employees pried the covers off. They would place bags of ice on the thermostat and heat lamps. One of the techs did something I thought was ingenious. What did he do?
No hints till Friday at 6am EST when the video is released.
Thanks
Ray
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    put a t-stat in each office/cube/desk that wasn't connected. I thought this was Dan's story.
    GGross
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,127
    mattmia2 said:

put a t-stat in each office/cube/desk that wasn't connected. I thought this was Dan's story.

This one is more ingenious because you can sell more thermostats 😂
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,741
    Tied a piece of yarn on the air device?
  • Steve_Wheels
    Steve_Wheels Member Posts: 28
    Thermistor under the cover of the existing Tstat and a connected thermostat in the boiler room?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    Some type of "dummy thermostat" as @GGross and @mattmia2 mentioned.

I once had a DPW garage where the guys would come in with their trucks at the end of the day open the garage doors turn the stat up high, shoot the bull and drink coffee and shut the garage doors and go home. When the boss came in in the morning the shop was 90 degrees and a low oil tank.

We disconnected the stat and wired the fan to run 24/7 and put a stat in the return air.
  • RayWohlfarth
    edited August 2023
    @GGross and @EBEBRATT-Ed you nailed it. The tech was tired of replacing the cover and thermostat and suggested a thermostat on the return air. The funny part of story was the note inside the thermostat cover. The tech who relocated the thermostat included a note which read, "This stat is a dummy one. the real control is in the return air. If you tell the employees this secret, you will be cursed for all eternity."
    It still makes me smile. Anyway here is the link to the video,The case of the counterfeit thermostat
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=WWcY2VZ6E_8

The second video is an excerpt of an article I wrote for Engineers Systems magazine called Designing a steam system for a brewery. It discusses how a steam system for brewery differs than one for space heating.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=7BfXcOTNgGw
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    mattmia2
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,127
    The note is hilarious :D
  • RayWohlfarth
    I thought the same @GGross
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons