Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Booster Fan Install Amana AMS809

Z0101
Z0101 Member Posts: 3
Working on installing 2 in-line duct boosters. I have them installed with 14-2 to outlets and a homerun of 14-2 back to the furnace. I've pulled the drawings up but can't find a good way to wire them in. Should I try to wire to the blower motor or use a relay? What's the best way without frying the board. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    The simplest way is to use a "sail switch". It installs in the ductwork just down stream of the furnace.

Any time the air moves thru the duct, either heating or cooling, the boosters would be energized.

Power would come from the furnace circuit.

OR:
    You would need a relay powered by "EAC" terminals, Electronic Air Cleaner, if they are available on the fan board. Also would be energized in heating or cooling.
  • Z0101
    Thanks JUGHNE. I just did even more digging around and found the EAC-H and EAC-N on the board. Should I still ground to the chassis? I would imagine the EAC can handle an 1 amp. I tested the circuit with my meter and got 118V so it should be plenty. Thanks again.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    The furnace literature would tell you of the capacity of the EAC ckt.

The ground wire of your added circuit should be connected to the ground wire of the furnace circuit.
    Z0101
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    And if you used 142, how are you going to run the ground to the fans? As a ixed device, they must be grounded.

Further, if you used 14-2, the entire circuit must have no more than a 15 amp fuse or circuit breaker.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,055
    Z0101 said:

Working on installing 2 in-line duct boosters. I have them installed with 14-2 to outlets and a homerun of 14-2 back to the furnace. I've pulled the drawings up but can't find a good way to wire them in. Should I try to wire to the blower motor or use a relay? What's the best way without frying the board. Thanks in advance.

Booster fans are a Band-Aid at best and garbage 90% of the time!

• Z0101
    @Jamie Hall, 14-2 has a ground with the 2 conductors. The cable is ran to an outlet and grounded along with the furnace. 

@pecmsg, these fans work great and they provide the perfect amount of air. They work in my situation, sorry they didn't work for you. Previous homeowner removed the majority of supply and return duct to put up a crappy looking ceiling in the basement.  I've had to install all new supplies and returns. 
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,055
    All they do is rob Peter to pay Paul!