Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Before and After work was done. thanks for the guidance everyone.

Options
tsayles50
tsayles50 Member Posts: 36

Recently had the piping around my boiler fixed. Not pictured are Gorton 1 and 2 air vents for my two main pipes. New CO2 detector. Skimmed the boiler. Blew down the boiler. Demineralizer. New 0-5 PSI gauge.
mattmia2Alan (California Radiant) ForbesMikeAmann

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,734
    Options
    I'm not sure that original piping was completely awful but I can't see enough of it here. The drop header obviously is better.
  • tsayles50
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

I'm not sure that original piping was completely awful but I can't see enough of it here. The drop header obviously is better.

I didn't take the best before picture but it was welded copper and only utilized one riser.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,095
    Options
    Looks Top Notch..HUGE improvement 👏 Mad Dog 🐕 
    tsayles50SuperTech
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,767
    Options
    Is that header feeding a bullhead tee (two mains fed by one pipe in opposite directions)?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,074
    edited June 2023
    Options
    That bullhead tee looks like it was always there. Might be a 2 x 2 x 3.
    Maybe a 3" steam riser to it may have been better.

But then that would lead to a 3" header....you have to stop somewhere.

But with tall double drop header and vertical steam riser it should deliver dry steam. Previous postings talked about wet steam.

The heating season will tell.

How did the old piping sound?

What is the boiler model number? Now I see it was a 63-04
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,723
    Options
    Your inspector was cool with the drop header? Lucky!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    mattmia2SuperTech
  • tsayles50
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Is that header feeding a bullhead tee (two mains fed by one pipe in opposite directions)?

I guess it is. In all my research I didn't come across the phrase bullhead tee. The white header goes in two different directions.

Does this mean anything specific?
  • tsayles50
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

That bullhead tee looks like it was always there. Might be a 2 x 2 x 3.
    Maybe a 3" steam riser to it may have been better.

But then that would lead to a 3" header....you have to stop somewhere.

But with tall double drop header and vertical steam riser it should deliver dry steam. Previous postings talked about wet steam.

The heating season will tell.

How did the old piping sound?

What is the boiler model number? Now I see it was a 63-04

That white main at the top is older probably original, I think it's white from being insulated by asbestos. There were some sounds coming from the system but it wasn't too bad to be honest. My biggest concern with the previous set up was the welded copper pipes breaking in the middle of winter, with the threaded steel I am less concerned about it.

I also got appropriate main vents, the previous one was super tiny.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    The lack of main venting was probably why your radiator vents were spitting. There was just too much velocity trying to push it all out through the radiator vent.
    tsayles50
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    Options
    @tsayles50 thank you for allowing me to do the work on your boiler. Here is a picture of the piping heating up with an infrared camera along with the gorton main vents.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    tsayles50mattmia2SuperTech
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,881
    Options
    I should have recognized your workmanship! :)
    mattmia2
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,767
    Options
    Oh.

If @EzzyT did the work forget I said anything.

You can sleep well at night.  
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2SuperTechJUGHNECLamb
  • random12345
    random12345 Member Posts: 469
    Options
    My understanding is that ideally there is no tee and having two separate take-offs from the header is best. One going right, the other left in that picture. I'm not sure why this is the case though? Harder to balance the system maybe?
  • tsayles50
    Options
    EzzyT said:

@tsayles50 thank you for allowing me to do the work on your boiler. Here is a picture of the piping heating up with an infrared camera along with the gorton main vents.

Thank you so much @EzzyT!! you did a great job.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Probably was piped directly off the original coal boiler and it only had one outlet.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    Luckily you had got Ezzy to straighten it out being most would have left it like it was and given the excuse of well it steams and it,s like that ,now just get it insulated and stay on top of maintaining it properly w yearly maintenance and your good to go for the foreseeable future .
    Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    Mad Dog_2