Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Drain valve dripping from Oil Boiler

Options
This might be relatively simple for you experts but I'm fairly new to the plumbing DIY space.

We had a leak from a Taco Hy-Vent. In order to relieve pressure and remove water, I opened the drain valve from the oil boiler. I was able to drain it fine but when I closed it, there's now a very slow drip every couple of seconds. I think it's just very old and the valve just corroded in some way that it's not a full seal.

Anyways, I'm looking to replace it but I'm unsure if I can replace just the bibb/spigot or if I need to also replace what looks like a reducer behind it.

Attaching a screenshot for more info:
https://i.imgur.com/FOFjGeu.jpg

Appreciate any help!

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,871
    Options
    Open and close a few times and pray you get lucky. 
    If that doesn’t work they make caps for emergency use!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,366
    Options
    They'll do that... which is why they make caps to fit over them. That's a hose bibb thread on the outlet, and I imagine that any decent hardware store or one of the Big Boxes will have them.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,702
    Options
    Should be able to take the packing nut off and take the stem out and replace the washer.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    Should be able to take the packing nut off and take the stem out and replace the washer.
    It's a lot easier to just replace the whole valve. 
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,977
    Options
    Ask for a boiler-drain cap at your nearest hardware or plumbing supply house.

Hand tighten till the drip stops.
    STEAM DOCTORTom_133