Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Coal fired

Options
unclejohn
unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
Went to my Amish cabnet makers shop today and asked if he had a oil fired boiler he said no coal. 
Mad Dog_2CLamb

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,980
    Options
    Cool...is that is Penna?  I'm more familiar with the Mennonites of the Finger Lakes. Very interesting folks.  Both Anabaptists. Do you know them well?   Mad Dog 🐕 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Boiler looks naked as a jay bird. No controls and no wiring. LOL The good old days.

Nothing to go wrong with it unless you run it out of water or blow it up!!!!!
    unclejohnethicalpaulCLamb
  • unclejohn
    Options
    @Mad Dog_2 Camden Wyoming Delaware. Simon is the guy making our cabinets. Gravity system he said he “thinks” it has a pop off. 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Camden NJ? Laramie Wyoming?  Newark Delaware?   Mad Dog 🐕 
  • unclejohn
    Options
    @Mad Dog_2

west of Dover

• unclejohn
    Options
    For some reason it wont load my screenshot 
  • unclejohn
    Options
    It’s near here. camden-wyoming moose lodge 203
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    There are Amish in Delaware?  Mad Dog  🐕 
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Options
    The boiler looks like a DS Machine unit.  I wonder how the rest of the system is piped?  The pipe size is quite a bit smaller than a traditional gravity system.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    There are amish people in every state probably, but very few in Hawaii.

I had lunch at John's Pizzeria on Bleecker street the other day, they have a coal fired oven and they were loading it up while I was there, it was pretty cool.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Mad Dog_2
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,140
    Options
    I do not think that hand fed gravity hot water coal fired boiler is a DS Machine boiler.

About Coal fired pizza ovens; Stove size Anthracite Coal is typically used in coal fired pizza ovens.
    The coal fire is kept in the back corner of the oven and not piled high allowing good combustion to occur and heat the fire brick on the floor roof and sides of the oven. The heat is constant and even across the
    oven floor allowing the smaller pizzas thinner crust to be fully baked in a very, very, short time usually less than 2 minutes.
    ethicalpaul
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Are they Horse & Buggy Amish in Hawaii?   I know Mennonite much better.  They own John's  🍕 on Bleecker? They donrun a few produce stands...The best Coal-Fired Pizza is Patsy's on 118th Street in East Harlem (Fat Tony Salerno's old hood).  Its been smoldering non stop since 1933.  Large slices...no frills shop. Lines go around the block but move fast.   The Restaurant next store is also very good.  While your up there, peek in to Rao's ..they'll hold a table for ya....In 20 years when one frees up! Ha ha.  Mad Dog 🐕 🤣 
    PC7060
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Amazing how different things are based on region. I can throw a stone in any direction and hit 5 coal boilers, but have literally only seen 1 oil boiler in my entire life.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 909
    Options
    @unclejohn; you can tell that they burn hard coal since the boiler room walls and floor are clean. If they burned soft coal the room would a darker color. Where I am located we serviced both hard and soft coal, #1, #2, #6, fuel oil, natural gas, a little propane and even a few sewer gas units. The boiler for the Ebensburg, Pa sewage plant got about 50% of their heat to keep the poop warm and the digesters working at maximum from sewer gas. To see the flame you had to turn off all the lights and view the flame in the dark.
    kcoppSolid_Fuel_Man
  • leonz
    Options
    I wish we could obtain oiled Western Sub Bituminous Stoker Coal from Montana or Wyoming here in the east as I would have 90% less coal ash to deal with.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 909
    Options
    Are you sure you are not speaking of anthracite coal. Sub-bituminous coal has a very low heat value. It's BTU value is just above lignite. I never burned it but it would probably produce a lot of ash and my even be hard to burn.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,265
    Options
    GroundUp said:

Amazing how different things are based on region. I can throw a stone in any direction and hit 5 coal boilers, but have literally only seen 1 oil boiler in my entire life.

Coal does not go bad like heating oils can. So if there's enough room then big advantage in case of fuel delivery interruption.
  • leonz
    Options

Are you sure you are not speaking of anthracite coal. Sub-bituminous coal has a very low heat value. It's BTU value is just above lignite. I never burned it but it would probably produce a lot of ash and may even be hard to burn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Western Sub Bituminous coal from The Provinces of British Columbia and Alberta, the States of Alaska, Wyoming and Montana burns very hot and quick due to the volatiles in it releasing more easily as it is more friable than bituminous coal. and it produces little smoke and a very small amount of ash compared to Anthracite coal from England or the states of Colorado and Pennsylvania.

Lignite is referred to as Slack Coal in England.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    jumper said:
    Coal does not go bad like heating oils can. So if there's enough room then big advantage in case of fuel delivery interruption.
    Neither does firewood. Although, coal isn't affected by water. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!