Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

14" Toilet Rough-in

Options
Dollr
Dollr Member Posts: 35
I want to replace this toilet and it appears to be a 14" rough-in. I was curious what options the pro's on this site might suggest I do. I know I can just install a 14" toilet and I also see that they have adapters that will make a 12" toilet fit. I would be grateful for any advice on how to proceed. Thanks.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    Options
    Kohler has a system with bowls that can take an outlet with different rough in dimensions. Otherwise I would buy a 14" toilet. I'd pull that one and make sure there isn't anything unusual going on there before ordering.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,954
    Options
    That's looks like a perfectly good water closet. Does it flush poorly? Running? Cracked?  Why are you changing it? I've found many people were happier just rebuilding the innards.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    mattmia2PC7060kcopp
  • Dollr
    Options
    mattmia2 - thanks for the advice. Just need to find a 14" that my wife approves of.
    Mad Dog_2 - We're getting old and would like to have something higher. Toilet works fine. I did replace the innards about 8yrs ago. Thanks
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    They make ADA height toilet seats that will add a few inches and usually make a big difference.   I would try that first.  Save alot of time & $$$.  Moreover, many of the newer low flush toilets don't perform so great.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Dollr
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

They make ADA height toilet seats that will add a few inches and usually make a big difference.   I would try that first.  Save alot of time & $$$.  Moreover, many of the newer low flush toilets don't perform so great.  Mad Dog 🐕 

Thanks Mad Dog I'll check them out.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,258
    Options
    Agree with MadDoggy. If I must replace my first inclination is to use standard and cover gap with a shelf. Probably try Alien tape for that.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,699
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

That's looks like a perfectly good water closet. Does it flush poorly? Running? Cracked?  Why are you changing it? I've found many people were happier just rebuilding the innards.  Mad Dog 🐕 

Improper use of the name "Water closet" 10 point penalty.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Toto makes toilets with 14" rough in and "comfort height"...i installed one and like it. Going to add second one soon. It is a little expensive and there is still a1" gap from tank to wall.

https://api.ferguson.com/dar-step-service/Query?ASSET_ID=4544185&USE_TYPE=SPECIFICATION&PRODUCT_ID=4555351
  • Dollr
    Options
    SlamDunk said:

Toto makes toilets with 14" rough in and "comfort height"...i installed one and like it. Going to add second one soon. It is a little expensive and there is still a1" gap from tank to wall.

https://api.ferguson.com/dar-step-service/Query?ASSET_ID=4544185&USE_TYPE=SPECIFICATION&PRODUCT_ID=4555351

Well, my wife really likes this one. I'll have to see if it's possible. Thanks.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    When you change toilets the footprint will be different and the tile may not match exactly after being covered for many years
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mad Dog_2MikeAmann
  • Dollr
    Options
    hot_rod said:

When you change toilets the footprint will be different and the tile may not match exactly after being covered for many years

That's a good point to be aware of, thanks.
  • SlamDunk
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Toto has several models of toilets with the unifit trap to look at. And to @hot_rod point, these toilets have a large skirt that will absorb an old toilet's footprint. The seat is incredibly chinzy for the price of toilet. We tossed it and bought a better one from lowes. Good luck!
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    What is the distance between the back of the tank and the wall. 14" rough ins were popular in the "30"s and "40"s. I have only come across them in houses in that era.

I think that toilet is a 12" rough in and that tank is 2" away from the wall. There may be a 14" rough in hub with a newer 12" rough in toilet.
  • Dollr
    Options

What is the distance between the back of the tank and the wall. 14" rough ins were popular in the "30"s and "40"s. I have only come across them in houses in that era. I think that toilet is a 12" rough in and that tank is 2" away from the wall. There may be a 14" rough in hub with a newer 12" rough in toilet.

The house was built in 1940 but the bathroom was renovated at some point. Maybe 70's? Just guessing from the color of the fixture. Just checked and the tank is snug against the wall.
  • SlamDunk
    edited June 2023
    Options
    My toilet had a wall mounted tank with a two inch chrome ell connecting to bowl. 1930. It had a gap of just an inch with toto. It is annoying but better than 2"
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,258
    Options
    I've seen shelves bridging gap and nobody notices but me when I have to work in tank.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,699
    edited June 2023
    Options

I had to fix a computer for a friend once and had to use his bathroom and noticed that the toilet was a good foot from the wall. It felt like you were in the middle of the room.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Mad Dog_2
  • SlamDunk
    Options
    My brother had same problem. Looked dumb. Waste of valuable space.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    And to think...the plumber got paid .  Mad Dog 🐕