Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

re flushing geo loop

Options
zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
Is it recommended that a geo loop field be re flushed periodically? Even if the system has not been open for a repair such as a leak repair or pump replacement? I had heard somewhere that this is recommended to be done ever five years. Thanks to all

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    I can't imagine why... If the loop is plastic pipe -- most are -- and it's closed,.. I can't see what might get in there that would be worth flushing out.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    zepfan
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    zepfan said:

Is it recommended that a geo loop field be re flushed periodically? Even if the system has not been open for a repair such as a leak repair or pump replacement? I had heard somewhere that this is recommended to be done ever five years. Thanks to all

Water or Glycol?

Straight water unless a lot of makeup is used, I don't see a need.
    Glycol does break down over time so it's possible.
    zepfan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Is it plain water, glycol, or methanol?
    Take a sample and smell it. What does it look like. Glycols tend to go dark when they breakdown.

Most all of the chemical suppliers will do a fluid test if you send a sample.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    Options
    Thanks to all that responded. The loop has methanol in it. The piping comes out of the ground is the black flex able piping ( I forget the name) then it coverts over to schedule 40 PVC that goes to the units
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I would put an air test over the fluid that is in the system. You don’t want to flush away all that GEO fluid. Nor do you want to lose it through a leak in a loop somewhere.

If it has a prebuilt pump station, there is usually isolation valves and often a test port to add a gauge and fill fluid or air test
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    zepfan