Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No Local Help

Options
Dear all, I own a 100 year old house in Virginia's New River Valley. That's southwest of Roanoke, Dublin, VA 24084. I am having trouble getting my steam heat system fixed. The only companies near me will not work with residential customers. Thanks in advance. Jim Bell.

PS The only problem is a leak at the sight glass. It works! Just makes a mess.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I wonder if you're near @Ironman

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Beautiful country. Not surprised you are having trouble finding help. Fortunately, there aren't too many ways that sight glasses can leak -- and most of them are things which it is likely you can handle yourself, if you are reasonably handy. Can you post a picture of the leaking area? We can probably guide your repair with that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • WithrowPlace
    WithrowPlace Member Posts: 20
    Options

• WithrowPlace
    Options
    Leaks at the top. Can't tell if the glass is broken or not.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,971
    Options
    Call Dan Foley at Foley Mechanical..Lorton VA..atleast 
     He's in your state.. pay him for his consult time.  Any good plumber or boiler guy can follow his plan.  DONE!  If u can't get him get Steamhead...He's in Maryland .  You can't do any better than these Gents.  Keep us posted...Mad Dog 
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    that pressuretrol is set kinda high,
    and that's not helping your leaking situation, nor the heating or fuel economy,
    the sightglass might be able to be tightened as is, or needs new gaskets, which then suggests new brass nuts and washers, and change the glass while you're at it,
    service the pigtail lately?
    what pressure are you seeing when steaming?
    https://heatinghelp.com/store/detail/we-got-steam-heat-a-homeowners-guide-to-peaceful-coexistence
    known to beat dead horses
  • WithrowPlace
    Options
    I really would like a professional to do this. I might could do this but I know I'm way over my head. Locals itching to install forced air and throw away the radiators.

Mad Dog, thanks for the refs. On the list!
    neilc, pressure abt 1 but is bouncing a lot w the leak.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Any decent plumber should be able to take the sight glass apart, clean it up, and replace the gaskets (probably O-rings). He or she should have a spare glass on hand, though -- they're amazingly fragile.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,971
    Options
    Withrow place...instead of throwing the radiators out of the house, throw them knuckle draggers out!  Mad Dog
    SuperTech
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    The sight glass wears down on the ends . Normally from a small leak from lack of compression rings .

I noticed the muddy water , it tells me you have steam leaks. The mud is the solids left behind . Leaks will cost you in burning more fuel ....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Mad Dog_2WithrowPlace
  • WithrowPlace
    Options
    Thanks all for your help. I am so glad this blog is here! I'm still trying to find someone. At least now I have until next heating season.