Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Paint for Pipe

Hello!
I did search the forum but I am still a bit confused... I want to paint the pipe that comes out of my floor and meets my steam radiators to match the fitting (not sure I am using correct terms - probably not!) before I put new flanges on.

What type of paint on paint would be safe to use? (I do not want to use spray paint.) Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Pretty much any top quality acrylic will do. Just get any rust and flaking old paint off.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpauldottysummerrs
  • dottysummerrs
    dottysummerrs Member Posts: 11

Pretty much any top quality acrylic will do. Just get any rust and flaking old paint off.

So it doesn't need to be a high heat paint?

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168

So it doesn't need to be a high heat paint?

Not in my experience.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaulkcopp
  • random12345
    random12345 Member Posts: 469
    @dottysummerrs Did you just get that radiator painted or was it always that way?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Maybe look into some of these two piece stainless rings to cover the hole in the floor
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • dottysummerrs
    @random12345 the radiator was just sandblasted (it was caked in paint previously) and we had it clear coated.

@hot_rod yes I just ordered some brass flanges to cover the hole :)

@Jamie Hall THANK YOU!
  • random12345
    @dottysummerrs What do you mean by clear coat? Have you been using the radiators already? Any smell issues?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Go to a REAL paint store...not a chain.  Ask them.. that's a Gorgeous radiator...did it always look like that ot was it recently sandblasted?  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • dottysummerrs
    @random12345 -- we opted to have a clear protective coating put on the radiators instead of repainting them once they were sandblasted. There was some off gassing (lasted a few hours) when we turned the radiator on and now they are great with no oder. We used Nyalic clear coat because of the heat resistance. I talked with the company quite a bit before choosing the product. We are very happy with them.

@Mad Dog_2 Thank you -- they were just sandblasted and they look glorious. Three down, five to go....
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    You can go to a chain to get paint. No need to pay $130 a gallon like my wife did once. ONCE. Any decent acrylic will be fine like Jamie said.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Go to a REAL paint store...not a chain.  Ask them.. that's a Gorgeous radiator...did it always look like that ot was it recently sandblasted?  Mad Dog 🐕 

You think the kids behind the counter of a "Real paint store" can be trusted?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    CLamb
  • random12345
    Interesting. Never heard of Nyalic before. Just called them. Interesting possibility if you like the bare metal look. I'm a little skeptical based on what I was told that it will be long-lasting when subjected to temperatures of 215 F regularly, but if it works for you, then that's great. I too would vote for a thin coat of low VOC acrylic paint on the pipe. Be careful when scraping the old paint off since it could have lead.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    215 F is not hot
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    KC_Jones
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,250
    Great looking radiators! I don't think that is a clear coat only though. Notice how the bushing, nut holding the sections rod, and radiator are all the same finish and color? I suspect the finish applied had some pigment. There may be a clear coat over the color coat. Whatever the painter did, they look great! I love that old stuff, impossible to get today.
    I DIY.
    dottysummerrs
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    edited April 2023
    WMno57 said:
    Great looking radiators! I don't think that is a clear coat only though. Notice how the bushing, nut holding the sections rod, and radiator are all the same finish and color? I suspect the finish applied had some pigment. There may be a clear coat over the color coat. Whatever the painter did, they look great! I love that old stuff, impossible to get today.
    The bushing looks different to me and look at the pits in the cast iron, they are darker.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • dottysummerrs
    It's definitely clear coat only!