Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for Simple WWSD Warm Weather Shut Down with no ODR

Options
BigRob
BigRob Member Posts: 322
Can anyone recommend a device that doesn't have ODR or can have ODR disabled?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    I imagine you could use a Tekmar 256 and adjust/ set the reset to a point where is has very little reset.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Ya, it's called a Nest thermostat that can change the thermostat temp with an I-fone or a digit method, as in "index finger".
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,971
    Options
    Toggle switch...Mad Dog
    STEVEusaPA
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,628
    Options
  • Tim_D
    Tim_D Member Posts: 128
    Options
    Low range/gradient remote bulb aquastat that breaks on rise.
    Aquastat, breaks on rise, 40 -180F range, 180F factory stop, Non–adjustable differential, less well
    Go to Product Details
    L4006A1959/U
    Mad Dog_2
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I would ask 'why' first?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Mad Dog_2
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options

...I'm shocked, shocked, I say, that I didn't get an Insightful for this solution.

Too bad they don't have a 'patting yourself on the back emoji'.

MikeAmannChrisJ
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited April 2023
    Options
    'patting yourself on the back emoji', I'm goina have to talk to Erin about that.
    I notice every time I finish an installation, my right arm hurts. I guess it from patting myself on the back.
    Mad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I would ask 'why' first?
    I use the WWSD in the ecosteam and I think it's set to 65 in my case.

I've listened to the thermostat call for heat, nothing happens and then it gets satisfied for no reason.  Over and over.

It's kinda funny really.   No idea how much it's saved me in 7 or so years but I'm sure it's something.

I think the original reason I wanted it was when I had window units but that's no longer the case 
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Tim_D said:
    Low range/gradient remote bulb aquastat that breaks on rise. Aquastat, breaks on rise, 40 -180F range, 180F factory stop, Non–adjustable differential, less well Go to Product Details L4006A1959/U
    Ummm, doesn't that have a 10° fixed differential? That would be fine for boiler water temperature, but perhaps not for controlling the space temperature in a house.

Bburd
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,299
    Options

'patting yourself on the back emoji', I'm goina have to talk to Erin about that.
    I notice every time I finish an installation, my right arm hurts. I guess it from patting myself on the back.

We'll get right on that. :D

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• ChrisJ
    Options

We'll get right on that. :D
    You still owe the "Good Grief" one. :p
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    Options

...I'm shocked, shocked, I say, that I didn't get an Insightful for this solution.

Too bad they don't have a 'patting yourself on the back emoji'.
    You need to have an outstanding reply in order to get the desired emoji. If you offered the proper switch for WWDS than I can agree. But no one has gotten this right yet!
    Sometimes you need to think outside the box!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited April 2023
    Options

...You need to have an outstanding reply in order to get the desired emoji. If you offered the proper switch for WWDS than I can agree. But no one has gotten this right yet!

And you are you telling me this why?

• ChrisJ
    edited April 2023
    Options

What shut down temp do you want? One of the functions of ODR is an adjustable WWSD.

You want simple? OK, I will give you simple, remember you ask for it.

Take a construction fixed thermostat permanently set at 65 degs and wire it into one lead of the thermostat wire. Mount the fixed thermo outside on the cold side of the house.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=temporary+construction+thermostat&crid=1SR8FFAKRK4M5&sprefix=construction+thermostat,aps,208&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_23
    https://www.doityourself.com/forum/boilers-home-heating-steam-hot-water-systems/479809-making-simple-warm-weather-shut-down-oil-fired-steam-boiler.html

I'm shocked, shocked, I say, that I didn't get an Insightful for this solution.

This isn't a half bad idea.
    You can even go a step further, use a Honeywell with a remote sensor and put the sensor outdoors in a fairly protected area.

The wired remote sensors aren't expensive.

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my HTP has independent settings for wwsd and odr.
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options

What shut down temp do you want? One of the functions of ODR is an adjustable WWSD.

You want simple? OK, I will give you simple, remember you ask for it.

Take a construction fixed thermostat permanently set at 65 degs and wire it into one lead of the thermostat wire. Mount the fixed thermo outside on the cold side of the house.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=temporary+construction+thermostat&crid=1SR8FFAKRK4M5&sprefix=construction+thermostat,aps,208&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_23
    https://www.doityourself.com/forum/boilers-home-heating-steam-hot-water-systems/479809-making-simple-warm-weather-shut-down-oil-fired-steam-boiler.html

I'm shocked, shocked, I say, that I didn't get an Insightful for this solution.

I've done this and it works.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    edited April 2023
    Options

...You need to have an outstanding reply in order to get the desired emoji. If you offered the proper switch for WWDS than I can agree. But no one has gotten this right yet!

You need to look closer

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

hot_rodPC7060
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options

You need to look closer
    Day drinking or off your meds?

bburd