Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

rusted collar unconnected - not a professional

Hi, we live in a co-op building in NYC built in 1956 with classic 2.5" floor to ceiling steam pipes in the bathrooms. We'd had what I thought was a messy join to the ceiling with caulk, but when I stripped it, it's a rusty collar that doesn't seem to connect to anything - the pipe wiggles and squeaks in the socket when pushed - and the collar is smashed on one side.

I would love to remove this and either have a clean seam at the ceiling or use a concentric reducer to cover the join, but I don't know what this piece is and if it can safely be removed.

We don't have control over the steam pipe being on or off until after the weather goes above 55 degrees or April 15th.

Any guidance I can get would be very helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367

Since you're not even sure what it's connected to, and it's 2-1/2", I'd recommend that you call a pro.

Try the contractor locator above.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    STEVEusaPAMad Dog_22244BPE
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832

The Johnny NY with Gateway P & H.. they're very good and in the neighborhood. Mad

2244BPE
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776

Thats part of the building so the CoOp board should deal with it!

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576

That kind of looks like the end of a piece of aircell asbestos insulation on the pipe above there compressed against a joist so I'd be careful about what I picked at up there.

2244BPEMad Dog_2
  • 2244BPE
    2244BPE Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the help. I spoke to the super and his (always helpful) comment was "you're having the bathroom ceiling redone, right? Let them handle it." So thank you for the recommendations if they are lost too. Also, I'm on the co-op board.

Mad Dog_2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024

there may need to be a fire stop product used also?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 909
    edited March 2023

That collar is designed to allow the pipe to move from thermal expansion and contraction as it heats and cools, so whatever you do must allow for that movement or it will crack on the first heating cycle. That is why those are generally not caulked, the movement is too significant.

Bburd