Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiators hot to touch

Options
Sophes
Sophes Member Posts: 4

Hey experts! I have steam radiators that can get hot to touch. Is there a good paint to put ontop so lessen that? Or is the only good option radiator covers? Thanks so much!

mattmia2

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,847
    edited March 2023
    Options

Thats the purpose of the radiator, to give off heat. At 212°F nothing is going to burn. You can cover them if you want.

Mad Dog_2ChrisJ
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options

@pecmsg

You left out except your hand. Hehe. Sophes you will have to cover them too protect the rug rats.

ChrisJEdTheHeaterMan
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options

Radiator covers are not a good solution, they can dramatically reduce the heating capability of your radiators. Now your radiators might be too big for your current needs, and you'd be OK, but they might not.

I would offer that if a child touches a hot radiator, it will be brief, rather harmless, and not repeated. But I don't know your situation so I don't judge.

NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Mad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,847
    Options

I know of NO kids that touched a Steam Radiator and suffered burns! Once they touch it they wont again!

Mad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,926
    Options

The kids will be 🙂 fine. My three made it through with a house full of hot steam Radiators, never an issue mad

EdTheHeaterMan
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,968
    edited March 2023
    Options

Covers, with openings on top, will actually increase the heat output. Any kid big enough to the top, is presumably old enough to know not to touch the radiator

Mad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options

I mean when I was in middle school and i encountered the first steam radiator that I had ever touched I did not know not to touch it.

Mad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan
  • dabrakeman
    dabrakeman Member Posts: 552
    Options

Temperature is about perfect through the posterior side of a pair of jeans.

CLambEdTheHeaterMan
  • ethicalpaul
    Options

Now you're going to go and make me try it 😫

EdTheHeaterMan
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,968
    edited March 2023
    Options

I already tried it. My house had boxes on the radiators when I moved in. Metal covers with a hinge top. I would come home and first thing I would do is open up the top. I would turn my back and somewhereclose it again. Finally got a sawzall and cut off the tops. Heat output was noticeably better. Every spring I am supposed to take the tops from the attic and put them back on top of the covers. Last time I did that was probably close to 10 years ago.

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options

Not sure if it puts your mind at ease or not, but I'll try. I have 3 kids, all born and raised in the same house with steam heat. Oldest is 15, youngest are 12 year old twins. The only time any of them were ever hurt by a radiator was when my oldest came running into the kitchen full speeed, tripped over something and went head first into the cast iron. He wasn't burned, but he did get a big lump on his head. Besides that they didn't touch them that I ever remember, and defintley never burned. I sit on one of our shorter ones when its running full blast, feels awesome. The temperature of the radiator is such that you would have to override your senses and try and burn yourself on them.

Now, if it was someone with CIPA that couldn't feel pain, then yes I would be extremely concerned.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ethicalpaul
    Options

You are saying the heat output is better with the top of the cover off than on, that is not the debate. But I don't wish to get farther into it than that, I've had a busy week here 🤣

STEAM DOCTOREdTheHeaterMan
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options

I even have a cat that lays on top of radiators while they're steam hot……….

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    Options

Ask anyone who lived in a building that had steam radiators if they ever touched one of those radiators when they were HOT? Most of them would say YES, Then when asked how many times, they said ONCE.

To the peopel who need to protect human beings form touching things on a regular basis that burn us; you are of a different generation of human beings that need someone else to protect you from what common sense was able to do for thousands of years from prehistoric times until now.

Thanks for looking out for us! What would we do without you?

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    bburdMad Dog_2