Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brass pigtails

Options
RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,481

I am trying to find the code that says steam boilers should have brass pigtails instead of black iron for a steam boiler. I looked at CSD1 and the wording is hard to understand

Thanks

Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options

Codes hard to understand, imagine! 😅 Could you paste the code here, Ray? I'd love to see it.

NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    ethicalpaul
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options

Section g and h. Looks like you can use a ferrous pigtail but it mush have a larger ID.

ethicalpaulbburd
  • ethicalpaul
    edited March 2023
    Options

Yeah it seems like it requires 1/4" for non-ferrous and 1/2" for ferrous, both up to 5 feet.

So that seems to rule out 1/4" steel pigtail. thanks for pasting it!

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,925
    edited March 2023
    Options

I'll check NYS & NYC code, but I know for a fact, inspectors WILL NOT allow them in steel irrespective of what the code says Mad

• Mad Dog_2
    Options

There's good reason.The splooge really adheres to the Black steel pigtails. If you take one out after not being cleaned in a few years, good luck getting it cleared. I think because brass is non ferrous and doesn't rust, there is much less adherence and clogging. By the way, the new yellow brass pigtails...Stink...thinner, not sqaured up and crooked. I.miss my nice Red Brass ones.. Mad Dog

Long Beach Ed
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,676
    Options
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaulMad Dog_2reggi
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited March 2023
    Options

ELooks to be high quality. Lab quality, perfectly sqaured up and erect like a Army Private at Attention. I presume they make a straight configuration as well? Is that from Mc Master Catalog? Looks like the we company color. Most plumbers are going to ignore because of the 50 Buck tag, but I wanna try one now. Good find, Bravo! Mad

• ChrisJ
    Options

Yes McMaster.

They have straight as well.

They also have them in brass for around $17 but I have no idea how good they are.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2023
    Options

Keep in mind 316 ss is a ferrous metal. Technically.

Long Beach Ed
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options

Update: I contacted the ASME CSd1 committee for their interpretation. I will post what they say. Not sure how long it will take to respond. I am seeing more boiler mmanufacturers using a water seal manifold instead of pig tails. I think it looks better but I wonder if the 1/4" nipples to the controls can be black iron like in the picture.

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options

I build the control trees when possible.

I use brass or SS for the 1/4" risers.

Use a couple more crosses than shown above.

My logic is that if the blk pipe manifold is shown clear by looking thru the crosses then the 1/4" risers would be clean.

ethicalpaulLong Beach Ed
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options

@JUGHNE I agree and prefer the manifolds. Thanks

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    mattmia2
  • TonKa
    TonKa Member Posts: 104
    edited March 2023
    Options

FWIW, provision (i) states "Individual controls are to be piped from the manifold according to the provisions of (g) and (h)." I would interpret that, in the last picture posted by RayWohlFarth, they would have to be no smaller than 1/4 inch brass or 1/2 inch black pipe. Additionally, I would interpret the first part of provision (i) as meaning a short manifold would have to be no smaller than 1/2 inch brass or 3/4 inch black pipe. (

• RayWohlfarth
    Options

@TonKa Im thinking the same thing Thanks

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options

We've been dinged on occassion for building our manifolds in iron. Not very often though….

New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • ethicalpaul
    Options

They gotta find something, right NESW? And on your installs it's damn hard to find something.

mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
  • ethicalpaul
    Options

Some things are universal