Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

York / Luxaire typical life

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
Hi all,

My dad has a Luxaire direct vent furnace and R22 A/C from 2006.  I think the evap was replaced a few years after that due to leaking.  I think the furnace is 92% or close to it.  80k heat and 3 ton cool.

He says the blower is starting to make a little noise from time to time and wants to me get him a spare motor for now.

My question is I'm assuming the typical life on these systems is 20 years?  Should I plan on replacing all of it now just to get it over with or should I wait?  Apparently it's got a lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger but I have no idea what that really means.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,053
    12 - 15 average. If installed properly. I'd get a new blower assembly cheaper than a new system.
    ChrisJ
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,303
    What @pecmsg has said but 15 years is pushing it. 
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    gyrfalcon
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,628
    For what it is worth @ChrisJ , I have a house with a 34 year old ruud furnace and a/c. I just replaced the intermittent pilot controller.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    SlamDunk said:
    For what it is worth @ChrisJ , I have a house with a 34 year old ruud furnace and a/c. I just replaced the intermittent pilot controller.
    My dad's last furnace was 48 when he sold the house.

But we're both under the impression a 2006 direct vent furnace isn't the same as a 1958 80% one.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,987
    My Neice has a 30 year old condensing Comfortmaker that is still running with no issues and the HX is ok so far
    ChrisJ