Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil to propane conversation

Options
gsierra14
gsierra14 Member Posts: 4
Hello everyone,
i just did a conversation from oil to propane and was wondering if anyone that has done one at their home what are you the draw back? I had an old oil boiler original to the house not efficient at all and converted to propane Combi boiler with 2- 120gal tanks. Had it for almost 2 months now. I’m looking for more of how often have you needed to have the tanks filled?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,854
    Options
    What was the cost of oil?
    What is the cost of LP?
    What's the make and model of the LP boiler?

I think you're in for a Suprise!
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Options
    In my area it works like this:  At best LP will cost you the same or a bit more, at worst it will cost you considerably more.

LP prices vary a lot by region and supplier.  If you have detailed records of how much oil you used in the past and current LP pricing we can see how you are doing.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,317
    Options
    Too many variables to tell you how often you'll need to have the tanks filled -- it might be once a week, it might be once a year.

Depending on your local fuel prices, though, it will either cost about the same as the oil did -- or a lot more than the oil. If you are in a corn or grain growing state, you might break even.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    Options
    gsierra14 said:

Hello everyone,
    I had an old oil boiler original to the house not efficient at all and converted to propane Combi boiler with 2- 120gal tanks.

You'll be saving a lot of fuel by virtue of replacing that old boiler (which sent too much of it's heat up the chimbley) to a modern boiler.

But, 250 gallons of propane doesn't go very far, even with an efficient boiler. LP has a lot less BTU in it per gallon than a gallon of #2 heating oil (like 40% less), so even with the same boiler, you'll be using a lot more LP than heating oil. So your 250 gallons of LP is worth about 150 gallons of heating oil.

Without knowing the size of your house, the insulation of it, the size of your boiler, it wouldn't be possible to guess how often those tanks are likely to be filled, but I suspect it is often.

As far as cost, where I am in Connecticut today as I write this, heating oil is 3.37 per gallon and LP is 3.85 per gallon. Considering that LP has 40% less BTU than a gallon of #2 heating oil and cost about 15% more per gallon than oil, heating with LP is VERY expensive where I am.