Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

main vents on my steam boiler

mmc239
mmc239 Member Posts: 81
Where do I install main vents on my steam boiler? 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,883
    Not on or near the boiler, in one pipe steam systems. Main vents should be placed at or near the end of the steam mains.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,870
    Sometimes the end of the steam main is near the boiler :smile:

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

• Jamie Hall

Sometimes the end of the steam main is near the boiler :smile:

True. But in terms of the way the steam moves, it isn't... I can't tell from the photos if that system has that arrangement.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • mmc239
    Is there a better angle I can take the pictures from?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,157
    If you start at the boiler and follow each steam pipe to it's end.
    If it simply goes up a radiator then that is not a main, just a run out.

If it goes to the end of the house and then turns and comes back to the boiler, that would be a steam main with a return going back to the boiler, usually dropping down to the floor and then into the boiler.

A vent should go after the last steam take off/run out. Could be right at the boiler up high as possible.

You should look for any fittings with plugs, these could have been steam main air vents.
  • mmc239
    Should this be a main vent?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,157
    Does the lower smaller pipe run back to the boiler with no other connections?

If so it is most likely where a vent used to be and could have been moved to get the ceiling installed.

Show the other end of that pipe at the boiler, you might consider adding venting at that point.
    Otherwise some ceiling surgery is needed.

Floor to ceiling shot of the piping at the boiler please.
  • Jamie Hall
    Looks plausible anyway -- but you're going to have a clearance problem. The vent should go on top of that reducing T -- but ideally should be a few inches above it on a nipple. Don't think you have the clearance for that, not even sure you have enough clearance for any kind of vent... where does the small pipe underneath go?
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • mmc239
    Smaller pipe goes back into boiler room towards the boiler.