Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant heat source piping

Options
Fluke216
Fluke216 Member Posts: 33
Just wanted to get some info on this. I'm planning on piping this just like the picture using a standard electric water heater for now. Could I change to another source either a mini electric boiler or tank/tankless gas at some point in the future with the piping configuration staying the same and recommendations on anything in this setup that should be done differently. Below is a link to the last discussion with a more details of the setup. its 4 300 foot loops two in slab two staple up. So the setup should be just like the picture the 3/4 piping goes from the pumps to the next room to two sets of supply and return manifolds then back to the return from that room in 3/4 pipe also. Let me know what you think thank you

https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/190862/radiant-floor-heating-questions#latest

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    yes, that piping is able to connect to other heat sources. a dedicated tank for the heat only?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    Well... using a standard electfic water heater is not the way I would do that. A standard electric water heater is meant for heating domestic hot water, not heating a house. Two very different things. Wrong tool for the job.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    kcopp
  • hot_rod
    Options
    An electric tank is a good entry product for radiant. Actually, inside are the exact same elements as in an electric boiler.
    An electric boiler may have some listings, like ASME than a typical water heater will not.
    Your panel has a 30 lb pressure relief in addition to the factory T&P so plenty of protection.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Fluke216
    Options
    hot_rod said:

yes, that piping is able to connect to other heat sources. a dedicated tank for the heat only?

yes dedicated tank for heat only basically kicking around ideas dont know where the price of electricity and propanes gonna go so figured get a scratch and dent standard heater and see how it operates and then I can make a more pricey decision in the near future If I decide to change to something else. So another question is one about pumps one place recommended Grundfos 3 speed cast iron pumps for the application and another a grundfos medium head cast is there's one that's better then the other for his? Also one showed a watts auto fill 911 combi and one did not is this needed in this application once the system is filled or what's recommended Thanks
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,908
    Options
    The only things I see are:

1. A slab will typically require a different (lower) water temperature than staple-up, so there's a chance that using the same temp water will either underperform with the staple-up zone, or overheat the slab zone.

2. Given the low flow of a 2 loop zone, pretty much any electric or gas boiler is going to require a primary/secondary piping arrangement to be added along with the addition of that boiler.
  • Fluke216
    Options
    GroundUp said:

The only things I see are:

1. A slab will typically require a different (lower) water temperature than staple-up, so there's a chance that using the same temp water will either underperform with the staple-up zone, or overheat the slab zone.

2. Given the low flow of a 2 loop zone, pretty much any electric or gas boiler is going to require a primary/secondary piping arrangement to be added along with the addition of that boiler.

ok So I was questioning 1 also about needing a mixing valve but the companies were saying not needed if the staple up was installed with aluminum plates a radiant barrier and insulation that the one pump might run a little more but that the mixing valve was not needed. So not sure if that's correct or not.

2.- If anything it would probably change to a mini elec boiler which is an on demand style also a tankless gas boiler or the gas style water heater in that photo. would these require the primary/ secondary piping arrangement .

let me know what you think thanks

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,258
    Options

Well... using a standard electfic water heater is not the way I would do that. A standard electric water heater is meant for heating domestic hot water, not heating a house. Two very different things. Wrong tool for the job.

Depends on the situation. A water heater can provide some thermal storage.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    You could pipe two low pressure drop boilers in parallel, or with a hydroseperator, if you want both connected to switch back and forth

with primary secondary or a hydrosep you can mix and match most any type of heater or boiler 

an electric boiler will be no more efficient the. An electric water heater. A 240v 30 amp circuit can get you 15,000 btu/ hr with a standard 4500w element 
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Fluke216