Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol pigtail changed, burner now cycling

Options
doing maintenance on my boiler and changed pressuretrol pigtail, now burner seems to cycle on/off to frequently. 

This doesnt seem normal but how can it be corrected?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    It may be quite normal. What is the pressuretrol or vapourstat set at? What pressure does the boiler actually run at? And, perhaps, more important, how big is the boiler vs. how big is the system which it is powering?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Tell us the times of cycling, start with the beginning of the call for heat, and note any event such as "main vents close" and "steam reaches radiator valve" and then note the cutoff and cut-in times and how long the overall call for heat took.

- Do you have operating main vent(s)?
    - What are your cut-out and cut-in pressures?

What you are seeing likely is the correct operation of the boiler. With the (assumed) clogged pigtail, the pressuretrol couldn't see that the pressure was rising so you were running the boiler at high pressure, probably a lot. This is harmful to the vents and the good operation of the boiler (affecting water level, etc). It is preferable that a boiler cycle like this rather than running at high pressure.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Wcurtis
    Wcurtis Member Posts: 32
    edited February 2023
    Options
    pressuretrol cutin .5, cutout 1.5, replaced gage also and it bounces just off 0 everytime I noticed it.

172k btu output from boiler
  • Wcurtis
    Options
    Pigtail was definitely clogged, main air vent was replaced recently and all radiators work as well, this is milder temperature day than recent past, could this have something to do with it?
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    172 K BTUh net output? that's about 540 EDR. What is the EDR of your system?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Wcurtis
    Options
    172,800 is gross output, I do know the EDR rating for the home
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Wcurtis said:

172,800 is gross output, I do know the EDR rating for the home

Let's make it simple then. What is the EDR rating of the boiler (it will be on the data plate) and what is the EDR of the home, since you know it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 251
    Options
    Are you sure when you disconnected your pressuretrol to replace the pigtail that you reconnected the wires correctly and didn't accidently loosen them at the control panel side of thing?
  • Wcurtis
    Options
    nameplate shows 540 sq ft
  • Wcurtis
    Options

I had a typo, I do not know the edr rating of the home
  • Wcurtis
    Options
    I will check the connections however the wires were not disconnected because a toggle switch inside the pressuretrol has 2 terminals soldered 1 from LWCO and one to the gas 
  • Wcurtis
    Options

• Chris_L
    Chris_L Member Posts: 336
    Options
    You need to compare that 540 square feet on the boiler tag with the EDR total for all of your radiators. See:https://smithfieldsupply.com/company_info/forms/radiatorest.pdf for example, for an explanation of calculating EDR for various types of radiators.
  • Wcurtis
    Options
    totaled all radiator edr's from chart

boiler 540
    Seems to be too much boiler but is this the reason for the pressuretrol cycling now
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Wcurtis said:

totaled all radiator edr's from chart

boiler 540
    Seems to be too much boiler but is this the reason for the pressuretrol cycling now

Oh yes indeed. That much oversize and it's going to cycle on pressure -- and there isn't much you can do about it other than grin and bear it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Wcurtis
    Options
    I never could tell before, now need to focus on slowing down vents since pressure gage hardly jumps off 0, trying to warm a cooler room and those two vents open 100%