Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat for boiler and radiator system?

Options
ccjto
ccjto Member Posts: 1
I need to get a new thermostat because the device I have is wonky. When I moved into this house it was recommended to keep the temperature stable because it takes so long for a boiler to heat up and cool down the house. Now I am reconsidering. Should I get basic programmable / programmable with wi-fi / smart thermostat? I am looking for savings, not high tech. I live in a smallish 100 year old 2 story house in Toronto Canada. Thx

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,853
    Options
    Looking for savings then you don’t need a new thermostat. 
    Tighten the envelope. 
    Get the boiler tuned up by a qualified professional. 
    Look into outdoor reset controls. 
    Smaller boiler if possible. 
    ccjto
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    There are two ways to save on heating costs. The simplest, of course, is to turn down the heat -- run the structure at a lower temperature. A small setback -- 2 or 4 degrees -- may also save you some money, but very litte. It can be done with a simple programmable battery powered thermostat. But you do have to run the place at a lower temperature overall to see any savings.

The other, and usually more satisfactory, is to tighten the envelope to reduce heat losses, as @pecmsg suggested.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ccjto
  • sputnik99
    sputnik99 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi, I'm also in Toronto in a 100 year old double brick 2 story semi-detached home. My Enbridge gas bill gone up by approx. 42% so I understand your desire to find some savings. I use an Ecobee and set the heat differential temp to 1.4C and Min heat time to 20 mins. I set it to 20.5C home, 19.5C away, and 17C sleep. This works for my family as we are accustomed to wearing an extra layer at home.

My all in gas bills from Dec to Feb were $124, $177, $227 compared to last year $79, $119, $175

If you get a wifi thermostat you will need a C wire... my boiler was so old I had to used a transformer plugged into an electrical outlet to power the Ecobee.

I hope this helps
    ccjto
  • exqheat
    exqheat Member Posts: 185
    Options
    set back is usually reuses energy when you reheat. Unless you are leaving for long periods, the regular setting is the best comfort. For efficiency, get an indoor reset control.
    John Cockerill Exquisite Heat www.exqheat.com Precisions boiler control from indoor reset.
    ccjto