Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Switch from Propane to Natural Gas

Options
skives19
skives19 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2023 in Gas Heating
We just found out the natural gas is being run down the road that connects to our road. The gas company is offering to run it to our house for approximately $3,600 lump sum or $45 a month for 10 years. The calculator on the gas company website says we will save $868 a year based on the amount of propane we used in 2022 and the amount we are paying this year. 

What do you guys think is it worth it to switch?

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,977
    Options
    Grab it while its hot...What State are u in?  NYS very foolishly has BANNED all new natural gas installations....I know some good  contractors on Long Island who's entire fambly business is based around oil to gas conversions!!  Scary!   Do it now and atkeast you'll be grandfathered in. Mad Dog 🐕 
    kcoppSuperTechethicalpaul
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    I am actually surprised they are charging you to switch.
    if its used for heating that run to the home w/o charge.
    Into the house is another question...
    If everyone on the street switches they may do that for free.
    May help to ask your neighbors
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    Options
    Do you own or rent your Tank ?
    Above ground or buried tank ?
    Are you on a Autofill ?
    Due to a empty tank i just had a no heat service call which was supplied by large propane company in our area ..
    They told my customer that "expedited " it would be 24 hours to 48 hours !
    Personally...Due to multiple reasons including saving $$$ i would do the switch
    I would go for the lump sum hookup and have my professional heating company do the conversion with a printout of the Combustion test !
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,857
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Just to double check the gas company: 

$/MMbtu output for gas:
    $/therm x 10 / efficiency 
    $/gallon x 1000/91.5 / efficiency for propane.

How many gallons per year did you use? 

I’d check the monthly gas fees, beyond the hookup fee, that could quickly erase the savings.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Negotiate that price. When they ran NG to the town near me the more people you could get involved the lower the connection price they offered. How far off the road are you, hows the digging around there :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • vhauk
    vhauk Member Posts: 84
    Options
    natural gas service is nice. Can’t wait to convert our boiler to natural gas. I’ve had butane and propane and natural gas and natural gas wins hands down 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    @skives19

Just a note of caution. I am all in on the conversion from propane to natural. But, the piping inside the house to any propane fired appliance will have to be increased in size:

The orifices and maybe gas regulators will need to be changed.

The equipment will need adjusting and combustion testing

What if you have older equipment and the conversion parts to convert to natural are no longer available?

Make sure to discuss all of this with the gas company so you can figure the real cost.

Hopefully you can get this done easily without too many bumps in the road
    kcopp
  • ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    Options
    yep, many water heater manufactures don't allow conversions
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options
    @skives19 Just a note of caution. I am all in on the conversion from propane to natural. But, the piping inside the house to any propane fired appliance will have to be increased in size: The orifices and maybe gas regulators will need to be changed. The equipment will need adjusting and combustion testing What if you have older equipment and the conversion parts to convert to natural are no longer available? Make sure to discuss all of this with the gas company so you can figure the real cost. Hopefully you can get this done easily without too many bumps in the road
    Sometimes..
    But you can also often do a 2 psi system with regulators in appropriate locations if some piping is too difficult or expensive to change.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    @ChrisJ

Maybe in some locations. In MA. 12"wc inside any building is not allowed without special permission. We used to have to go to the state board in Boston with a drawing stamped by a PE and wait months for approval. Now, I think the drawing can go to the local inspector which speeds things up. But, that is only for commercial as far as I know they never allow more than 12" wc in a house.

Especially after the massive explosion in easter MA a few years back.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options
    @ChrisJ Maybe in some locations. In MA. 12"wc inside any building is not allowed without special permission. We used to have to go to the state board in Boston with a drawing stamped by a PE and wait months for approval. Now, I think the drawing can go to the local inspector which speeds things up. But, that is only for commercial as far as I know they never allow more than 12" wc in a house. Especially after the massive explosion in easter MA a few years back.
    Yeah it's still kind of ironic the state with all of the rules had / has all of the big problems.

In NJ you can get 2 psi as long as you have enough pressure in the road.  It seems like a lot of areas now are running 50 psi in the road 
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    I would jump on that opportunity in a heartbeat.

And if it turns out you do have to change out your water heater (if it is currently Propane) then strongly consider a heat pump water heater like the Rheem for even more savings (and possible $$ incentives)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    hot_rod
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    Options

I would jump on that opportunity in a heartbeat.

And if it turns out you do have to change out your water heater (if it is currently Propane) then strongly consider a heat pump water heater like the Rheem for even more savings (and possible $$ incentives)

Or a indirect fired waterheater as we call them out west (Sidearm on the east coast)...Less moving parts close to the same efficiencies as the Boiler :)
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    The devil is in the details on this one. You need to get a clear idea of all the charges that will be on your gas bill. We had a private gas company come in and install lines in local rural areas and when you added up all the fee, it was more expensive than propane. They charged exorbitant fees to cover the cost of the new infrastructure with no sunset.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    One of the reasons I bought my rural home is that it had NG service. Most rural homes around here are propane.
    It probably makes sense to switch, but as they say, the devil is in the details. Tell us more about your home and your plans.
    1. Old poorly insulated large home, or small well insulated new home?
    2. How long do you plan to stay there?
    3. Current hot water usage large or small?
    4. What general part of the country are you in?
    5. What other appliances do you have that currently use propane?
    6. What NG appliances would you consider buying if you had NG?
    7. Do you have power outages? Is a NG standby genset in your future?
    Too many variables to make a recommendation, without you giving us more information. It may make sense for you to go all electric, or maybe you should get NG. Just depends.
    I DIY.