Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing cast iron steam radiators after accident. Help with conflicting opinions, Philadelphia

Options
2»

Comments

• dthewett
    dthewett Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi everyone, many thanks for all the comments here. I'm very glad to have found the forum.

The paint is definitely not good. A chemist and an environmental consultant have separately taken a look at the safety data sheet and confirmed that this paint should never have been used in our house. It's clearly labeled "FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY," and, as I said, made us ill the same day it was applied.

Thanks for confirming that the warnings about rust/sludge and pipe damage are non-issues. We obviously need to find contractors who have experience with steam systems.

Glad to know that many have had no problems with removal, blasting, and repainting. We think that replacing still may be best for us in this situation, but will keep that in mind as we investigate further.

Many thanks for all the responses. I will let you know how this turns out!
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,961
    Options

My flats are marred. No one knows but me :blush:

And the rest of HH.com But we won't tell

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,072
    Options
    Have you considered taking about half of the rads away to be redone.
    You could turn the tstat down to 55, the boiler would short cycle on pressure.
    mattmia2
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Crescent wrenches usually have small jaws relative to the length of the handle. You need to pay an arm and a leg for one that fits a 1 ¼" radiator union, and the handle will be too awkward to turn in most cases. I usually end up using my Ford wrench. If you can't find a Ford wrench, look for a monkey wrench (most people can't tell them apart anyway). Or just use a Stilson wrench.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,715
    Options
    There are also smooth jaw pipe wrenches which are yet another option.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,716
    Options
    > The paint is definitely not good. A chemist and an environmental consultant have separately taken a look at the safety data sheet and confirmed that this paint should never have been used in our house. It's clearly labeled "FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY," and, as I said, made us ill the same day it was applied.

Yeah, people think steam requires some heat-resistant paint and it's just not true. 212 is not very hot. A dashboard can get almost that hot in the sun.

I used Behr paint from HD and it has been perfect. Good luck with the resolution of this issue.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    gmcinnesmattmia2
  • FStephenMasek
    FStephenMasek Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Is there lead paint on them? Find a consultant with an XRF and you will know in a few seconds per radiator.
    Author of Illustrated Practical Asbestos: For Consultants, Contractors, Property Managers & Regulators
    gmcinnesCorktown
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,763
    Options
    My opinion, I agree that pulling radiators and blasting and painting is not an issue. Done 100s. Now once in a long while you can get a leaker, always forewarn client of this and if happens the time and expense will be clients responsibility. Had a powder coat job once leaked at paper gasket between sections of radiator after baking. Suspect just a bit too much contraction occurred when baking. No one’s fault. Coater had done 100s. Second, while blasting there can be a thin spot, pin hole size in cast section that the media blast finishes off after paint is off and bare metal exposed. Very rare but has happened. Ignore the idea that boiler will need to be replaced after draining unless in fact the boiler is in poor shape or leaking. Even with new radiators we have had leakers so nothing is perfect.
    A final question to OP. You mention highly toxic industrial paint? Are you talking about oil base enamel? I usually recommend to clients to use oil base enamels especially on steam as it tends to hold up to higher temps I feel. Decision of course is up to them. There may be some higher temp low voc water based paints out there that I don’t know about because I’m not a painter and don’t pretend to be.
    Long Beach Ed
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 513
    Options

>
    I used Behr paint from HD and it has been perfect.

If you're good with a rattle can (I'm a Rembrandt), then Rustoleum engine block enamel paint is also a nice choice and is available from flat to glossy.
  • dabrakeman
    dabrakeman Member Posts: 555
    Options
    I have sprayed a few. Works good after blasting. Easier with a couple light coats than a brush (in my opinion) to get a smooth coat and not hide detail on the radiator.
    MaxMercy
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,715
    edited January 2023
    Options
    You could probably seal them up with shellac then paint over that but adding another 2 or 3 coats isnt ideal and the shellac might not work.

Quality paints have a spec sheet that will show their temp ratings.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,961
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Perhaps you could put a big plastic bag over the radiators that will contain the off-gassing fumes. If the fumes are too much for the bag to hold, you can get a small vent pipe attached to the bag and put it thru an open window. If you think that will let a lot of wasted energy leave though the window, you can attach the hoses to a heat recovery unit before the fumes leave the building. If the heat recover unit takes up too much space in the room you could build little extensions just outside all of he windows to hold them. If that makes the house look bad outside you can have an architect design a decorative cover for the extensions. If the decorative extensions now look better that the rest of the old house, perhaps you could redesign the entire exterior walls to a more attractive facade to the betterment of the entire neighborhood. Then the neighbors will want to follow your lead (Keeping up with the Jones's) and upgrade their homes. The entire neighborhood's property value will increase and you could sell your home for much more than you paid for it. Then you can buy another home with hot air heat.

I like to offer alternatives.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

MaxMercyLong Beach EdgmcinnesPC7060
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 522
    Options
    and, as I said, made us ill the same day it was applied.

The contractor had 9 radiators prepped and painted them in place throughout your house in a day and you , your wife and child were in the house during all this painting or came in later and expected there wouldn't be any SMELL from 9 freshly painted radiators throughout your house ? 
    Was the heat on? Were the windows open , how was the paint applied , how many coats and "for my own curiosity... how many workers ?
    OR was the house empty and you were getting it ready to move into... like it was uninhabited while this was going on ? Something is missing from the story..
    IMHO 
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
    Long Beach Ed
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Options
    Has any insurance company taken responsibility?

They hire people to come in and blast all the time .... they use dry ice and containment. The question may be if it's possible to insure all the paint is removed blasting in place. Do you blast in place and repaint -- avoid any plumbing issues. Remove -- blast and paint on site saving costly moving expenses. Remove -- blast and paint offsite -- the most costly.

The paint is a mystery .... many two parts do say "industrial use only". When looking deeper -- it's the process of painting not the finished product that's the danger.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,397
    Options
    As @ethicalpaul mentioned, pretty much any of the higher end modern acrylic interior paints will work just fine (I use Benjamin Moore's Aura). I have radiators I scraped and wire brushed -- not even blasted -- 20 years ago and they are still just fine. Furthermore, you have an incredible range of colours that way.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    gmcinnes
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    Options
    The water based paints, while less durable, tend not to yellow like the oil paints do. And they hold up just fine from my experience. Depends on your priorities.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,058
    Options
    One of my Dead Men Pet Peeves (The Dead Men roll over in their graves!) Is when someone thinks the Channelocks are the only tool in the bucket.  They have a crescent sitting right next to the channelocks but insist on using the channel locks on squared nuts -especially Chromed ones...its a sacrilege to me!   Ha ha. Mad Dog 🐕 
    Long Beach Ed