Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Controls

Options
Been in Industry for many years - would like to get into controls side any thoughts and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated or opportunities - hvac controls

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    learn all you can, however you can, about basic electricity. Also learn what the various devices and widgets you will encounter do, and how they do it. Then set about learning all the logic -- good old-fashioned logic; if this then that type logic -- you can.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    vhauk
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    @creger.robert

I would check in with the control distributors in your area. They would know what contractors are buying their controls and which ones are successful. They have training. Johnson Controls has great training not that I am partial to them ....I'm not. Honeywell, Siemens (or whatever they call themselves now) etc. Find the distributors in your area that sell those controls.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hi, Have a look into the store here for books by Carol Fey. ;)

Yours, Larry
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    I have the best books you could ever want on controls. Contact me at timmcelwain@gastcri.com
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    I found Self Employment is the best way to be in control. Otherwise there is always some Boss above you that is in control.

Oh Yea, and what the other guys said too.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options
    My 2. Week-long visits with Timmie spread out over 2 years, some 20 odd years ago was one of the best investments in myself I could ever make.  His in-person hands on classes helped me be able to diagnose and repair the most difficult boiler wiring and controls issues..After his training I had only two I  needed to call in reinforcements for...a Burnham Gas  Steam boiler that had the brown plug in relay with the 6 wires going to it.  I isolated it to THAT relat but wasn't catching that the colored wires were on the wrong terminals. A very sharp controls electrician named Todd. Rewired it.  The second was a bad board that my Vietnam Vet Buddy (11th Cav. Black Horse Reg.) Joe Carraher, a circuitry genius figure out and resoldered the back of the board.  Amazing. Mad Dog 
  • Tim_D
    Tim_D Member Posts: 128
    Options
    Are you talking about standard controls, relays, mixing, boiler staging, etc. or building management systems?