Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The King's Daughter is gone...

Options
Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,050
I feel soooo sad like I did as a 10 yr old in Saratoga Springs NY in August of '77 when Elvis died...An extraordinarily Beautiful person like her parents inside and out.   RIP Lisa Marie....soo sad too young...their destinies I guess..  Mad Dog 

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,573
    Options
    54 is way too young. Sometimes it just shows money is not everything. I wonder if a lot of the rich people are really happy? Feel bad for her Mom & kids
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    No they are NOT usually.  Like Jim Morrison in The Changling..."I've had $$$...and I've had none!..."  and I'll take the money and FIND A WAY to be happy..its ALOT easier when u have $$$.  Mad Dog
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,589
    edited January 2023
    Options
    In the late 60's, when my mother was giving me the "we're not rich with money but we have each other and are rich in love" speech, she said rich people aren't always happy because they can have anything they want, when they want it, without working for it or even waiting.

They want more and get more but they can never be satisfied; then they become bored, become depressed, hit the bottle, do drugs, try to find a doctor to make them feel better and then blow it all.

"It is better to work hard for something. That way youre always busy and have something to look forward to." That was a lot from a woman with a third grade education to someone in kindergarten.

In Lisa Marie's defense, she lost her son to suicide. That had to take a heavy toll on her mental health.

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    And, although she and The Gloved One werent together they remained close.  She lost him too, and her Dad.   Rough life. Mad 🐕 Dog
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,915
    Options
    Rich is relative, I remember in College, a bunch of us went on a bust trip to Vermont to go skiing for a long weekend. My girlfriend a the time, said she was also going and I thought that was great. A week before the trip I heard thru the grape vine that my girlfriend was going with some rich kid. Boy was I mad. :s When I confronted her about this, I found out that I was the rich kid. Never thought of myself as the rich kid. I guess we had a little more that her blue collar father did. But I was never RICH! And I had to clean oil burners when I was 16. No free lunches for this kid

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Long Beach Ed
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    Rich is relative, I remember in College, a bunch of us went on a bust trip to Vermont to go skiing for a long weekend. My girlfriend a the time, said she was also going and I thought that was great. A week before the trip I heard thru the grape vine that my girlfriend was going with some rich kid. Boy was I mad. :s When I confronted her about this, I found out that I was the rich kid. Never thought of myself as the rich kid. I guess we had a little more that her blue collar father did. But I was never RICH! And I had to clean oil burners when I was 16. No free lunches for this kid
    What is the definition of rich? I imagine it varies a lot.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    There's rich and there's wealthy. Different. Sometimes one can be wealthy without being rich -- sometimes the other way around. Once in a long long time you run into someone who is both. One of my really good friends in college was a delightful fellow, always helpful, quite bright, really nice to be around -- the works. Always dressed like most of the rest of us (that is, whatever was vaguely clean and at least vaguely decent). Never though much about him in terms of cash ("rich"), but he was surely wealthy. Hid dad, however, blew his cover -- his mother became very ill and his dad, naturally sent to hasten him home before she died (he made it). His cover was blown when International Nickel Company's executive helicopter landed on the athletic fields and whisked him off... his family owned INCO at the time. Poor guy never lived it down -- but stayed just the same.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Yup.."rich" is a very relative and subjective term. Anyone "below" you're economic status can feel that way.i remember one of the Gi-Normous South American workers of the contractor I used who was an obnoxious loud mouth whom, I  always had  to tell to turn down his blasting boom box..especially at 700am in the suburbs!!!!
    We sunk a  few hundred thousand in to This  Old Victorian and he made a comment to my super-hard working father in law, who was much older and working much harder than,  ASSUMING wrongly (My wife and I JUST finished paying off this debt of 22 years ago!).  that HE was bankrolling me:  "You're RICH!!!!" He arrogantly and derisively declared to him after pops VERY politely questioned the  450lb big-mouth buffoon about the price difference between two options.  He also happened to be the Brother of the contractor who clogged the ONLY toilet on the house renovation . It was So bad, I had pour a bucket of plaster of Paris in to the bowl to encase the mess, double bag the whole heavy one piece Kohler bowl and throw the whole thing out. This is why homeowners get porta-potties now and don't want u using their bathroom!  We laugh till this day, because everytime we  Mentioned a problem about the big mouth of the job,  to the contractor brother boss, he proudly would say
    '"In my Country, Manuel was a Marine!!!!!!"
    We laughed that yeah, he was the size of a Small Nuclear Sub...maybe he WAS in "his" country's Navy.....but he was NOT up to snuff for the Best Marines and Navy on earth. They had weight limits.....ha ha Mad Dog 
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited January 2023
    Options
    On the lighter side as we mourn Lisa Marie and Elvis still after all these years.  When I moved from The Italian-American Queens suburb  of Howard Beach in 1980 at age 12, the "LonGUYland" (How Brooklyn and Queens folks pronounce Long Island) kids 
    In my new school gave the new kid TWO nicknames.   Due to my Saturday Night Fever Duck's A-- (aka D.A.) haircut  with was hair combed straight back and a Large black comb with the handle sticking out of my back pocket of my Catholic School Uniform they called Me ELVIS!   I stood very proudly like John Travolta as Tony Manero from Bay Ridge with my arms folded leaning up the fence surveying the new 'jungle" I was entering.  Only one kid came up and introduced himself and we are lifelong friends till this day.  After the nuns told me to introduce myself to the class, I got a second nickname' The Irish Guido with my How'beach language, accent, vernacular and mannerisms . For Example
    Cross Bay Blvd was said "Crozz-Bay"
    Manicotti was "munna-guit"   and a pretty girl walking by or a beautiful meal that you were about to eat was "O-Maaadone!" Italian for Mother Mary- aka the  Maddona.
    So, I quickly began to grow my hair in the style of my idol at the time Jim Morrison of the Doors and  changed up my swagger from Tony Manero to The Lizard King Morrison.  It worked out well.  The new Elvis/Irish Guido from How'beach morphed in to that cool new kid Matt who looks like Jim Morrison.   It worked out well for me until the next era, the beginning of Mad 🐕 Dog a few years later.  So that's my Elvis story. Thanks for letting me share it.  Mad Dog 
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited January 2023
    Options
    My other Elvis memory was 1986 backyard party at Big Andy Brosia's. (RIP-buddy) The Welders House.  He had a Kaoroke Machine set up and I did my best Elvis Medley with the hip-shake and Kung Fu moves of The Vegas years.   People were falling on the floor.  Great times. Long Live the King!!  Mad Dog
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,448
    edited January 2023
    Options
    This isn't a heating response, but I'll give it a go!

No one goes thru life without sorrows, some have more and some have less. Because of our sorrows we can have empathy for those who experience greater sorrows.

Lisa Marie made a bad choice. Good choices and bad choices have consequences. It matters not whether choices were made out of ignorance or fully understood.

Every death is a loss, gone is the knowledge, hopes, and dreams, a loss to us all.
    Ask..."not to know for whom the bell tolls,
    It tolls for thee." --John Donne
    Long Beach EdHVACNUT
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    I think being The Kings Daughter was a great burden and too much to live up to. Alexa Joel has said as much.  People were nasty saying she had neither the Talent of Billy nor the Beauty of Christie!  What a BRUTAL weight to be under!   Meanwhile she is quite talented and has the best features of both her parents!   I think Fame and stardom are very fleeting, empty  and cold, leaving countless victims in the road.  Celluloid Heroes by The Kinks captures this sentiment perfectly.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    HomerJSmith
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 591
    Options
    I wasnt quite yet a teen when Elvis died, so most of his cultural effect on me is more historical than "real".
    Same with disco, I missed most of that. And the hippies thing.

I guess I grew up with 80's rock and new wave ? lol
    Coulda been worse, I suppose..
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Who were yours 80s Rock bands?  New Wave?  Mad 🐕 Dog 
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 591
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

Who were yours 80s Rock bands?  New Wave?

I guess more precisely it would be late 70's and up.. but Rush, Styx, Triumph, Fleetwood Mac, etc.
    New Wave.. I think I erased most of band names from my mind ? Lotsa one-hit-wonders.

I kinda envy that some of you guys had the 50's cars at the drive-in.

The wife and I play this game on the Alexa now and then (" play song quiz"). It has a 50s category thats not in the options but works (I think it will drop someday, hence removing it from the verbal options). I get a few of them correct. We do pretty good on 60s, and very good on 70s and 80s. Newer music than that, we start to fail.

30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,573
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Elvis was the biggest thing there was in the late 50s & early 60s. Most girls my sisters ages 76 ish now went nuts for him. Then he quit and did just some movies for 6-8 years and then had the "68 comeback special" which I can still remember all the excitement leading up to that show (as we all crowded around our first color TV).

I remember reading how he could not go out because of all the fans and how he would rent a bowling alley or a movie theater in the middle of the night.

That is a messed up way to live for sure. So many have been lost to drugs and alcohol. And the stress of supporting all the relatives and hangers on.

I am sort of a music fan of his. Not big time but he did a really good job on some songs. Of course he had the Jordanaires the best back up group.

Lisa Marie grew up in that environment and probably did not know how to escape it