Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main Venting Question

Options
Hi all -

Feeling a bit overwhelmed as I try to make sure I have proper venting on my steam system. For context, I have a single pipe system, with approximately 34-feet of 2-inch main piping. When I purchased the home, there was a single Hoffman 75 at the end of the main vent, which appeared to be working. I have recently upgraded my main venting to include two Gorton #1s on an antler with the Hoffman. I’m not entirely convinced this Hoffman is in proper working order. 

So based on the math, 34-feet of 2-inch pipe would bring me to .782 cubic feet of air to be vented. If I pull out the Hoffman and replace it with another Gorton #1, I should be relatively maxed out right? I would install at Gorton #2 but I don’t think I have the clearance to do so. Hope this makes sense. Appreciate the insight!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    It makes sense, but don't discount that old Hoffman. Unless it's been badly abused, it's still working. Math is wonderful, but the real test is whether the steam gets to that vent location reasonably quickly. While it is true that it is almost impossible to over vent a main, there comes a point where more vents won't do much more.

I presume the main is insulated? If not, do that first before you add more venting.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    cbrillante23
  • cbrillante23
    cbrillante23 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    @Jamie Hall thanks for the response. The mains are insulated, sorry should have noted that. The Hoffman is probably working, I just know this system wasn’t maintained as best it could be so I’m skeptical. Does it matter what order the vents are in on the antler? Should I have the Hoffman first? 
  • Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 252
    Options
    What diameter pipe is the antler made of?
  • cbrillante23
    Options
    @Waher the antler piping is 3/4” diameter. 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    No, the sequence of vents on an antler doesn't make any difference. I'll ber the old Hoffman is working. They're pretty close to bulletproof.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • cbrillante23
    Options
    @Jamie Hall good to know about the Hoffman. With the Hoffman and two Gorton #1s on there that should be more than sufficient on that length of mains. I guess I’ll monitor it. Maybe I can beef up insulation. 
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,707
    Options
    A single #1 even
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • cbrillante23
    Options
    @ethicalpaul what did you mean by that?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,707
    Options
    I mean a single #1 is probably good enough
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    cbrillante23
  • cbrillante23
    Options
    @ethicalpaul ah! I see what you mean. And you are probably right looking at the math.