Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler age

Options
Please help me date my American Standard boiler number 4GA-11E series number 7B-J12

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    Options
    “Equipped for manufactured gas“ means it’s quite old, before natural gas became standard. I would guess circa 1940s.

Bburd
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    Options
    I'm guessing from the manufactured gas, 40's
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,533
    Options
    Probably late 40s-50s. Looks in good shape. Their boilers were built like tanks, sadly no more.
  • Sid_McGinnis49
    Sid_McGinnis49 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    i know American-Standard was from 1948-1967 Just hope a historian can decipher date code. It heats our 1910 colonial very well. I keep gas burners clean for a nice blue flame. Happy New Year !
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    I'm sure it's built like a tank. And I'm sure it heats very well. I'm also sure it's a good example of the progress we've made in 70+ plus years. Like spill switches, and rollout switches, and redundant gas valves. Life savers. And we have those old boilers to thank for it.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    https://www.building-center.org/american-standard-hvac-age/

May be some clues here. J is usually a September month
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,853
    Options

i know American-Standard was from 1948-1967 Just hope a historian can decipher date code. It heats our 1910 colonial very well. I keep gas burners clean for a nice blue flame. Happy New Year !

That might have been how you set them when that was new but not today!
    mattmia2SlamDunk
  • Sid_McGinnis49
    Sid_McGinnis49 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Label has American Radiator & Standard Sanitary Corp (before 1950) and American-Standard (1948-1968) because of the J My guess is September 1949...
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    My Parents will tell you that was a good month and year to be born. ;)
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    Options
    pecmsg said:

That might have been how you set them when that was new but not today!
    I think that was around the time that the dumbell with the fluid that absorbs the CO2 was invented