Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low temperature (landlord's) thermostat?

JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,285
Honeywell used to make a version of the T87 that only went as high as 68° or 70°.
I can't find it. Does anyone know if it is still in production or a simple but limited thermostat by another manufacturer?
TIA
-John
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,083
    edited December 2022
    I don't know what you're looking to spend but with the Honeywell T6 Pro you can adjust the maximum heat setpoint anywhere between 40° and 90°.
    You can also make it non programmable to be more T87ish.
    I'm sure there are others that offer the same options. 

For some reason I can't upload the manual.
    STEVEusaPASuperTechEdTheHeaterMan
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,183
    I have one. You can't have it, sorry. But I can't see any new ones -- the one I have is at least 40 years old!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    PC7060JohnNYEdTheHeaterMan
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,146
    edited December 2022
    @JohnNY This should have both heat and cool limits you can program in.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-Home-TH5110D1022-FocusPro-Non-Programmable-1H-1C-Large-Display-Thermostat?utm_source=google_ad&utm_medium=Shopping_tm&utm_campaign=Shopping_TM_HPLTV&gclid=CjwKCAiA76-dBhByEiwAA0_s9XJOE3n3Jtn6ej003udQIBedDE05CmMvcKtZeLOmjIsek97-zROFyRoC8P4QAvD_BwE

It has a decent sized screen to make it easier to read. It's non-programmable and about as simple as they come. I installed one for a close friend years ago, as well as one for my dad's garage heat.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    edited December 2022
    How about a temporary construction thermostat in a locked enclosure?
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,285
    Thanks, guys. All good suggestions considering I can't find what I was looking for and @Jamie Hall is holding out on me. @ChrisJ What stops the tenant from reprogramming the limit to a higher temperature.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,115
    Nothing is fool proof. Tenants have been known to put ice packs on thermostats.  One landlord put separate thermostats in each apartment (there was one single pipe steam system for entire building) and each tenant was told that they control the each in their apartment. 
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 162
    ive used a thermostat that is in a secured area wired in series with the one that is in the apartment. set the stat in the secured area to maintain a comfortable temp for the tenant. the tenant can always turn their temp down, but never up higher than the secure stat is set.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • ChrisJ
    edited December 2022
    JohnNY said:

Thanks, guys. All good suggestions considering I can't find what I was looking for and @Jamie Hall is holding out on me. @ChrisJ What stops the tenant from reprogramming the limit to a higher temperature.

What stops the tenant from bypassing the thermostat with a paperclip?
    Or buying their own $30 thermostat and putting it on the wall?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 6,069
    JohnNY said:
    I bet it has an installer passcode that limits access. It would require factory-reset to bypass that

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

• ChrisJ
    edited December 2022

JohnNY said:

I bet it has an installer passcode that limits access. It would require factory-reset to bypass that

I highly doubt it on that model, it's way too cheap.
    My point was, you're only going to do so much to stop people from tampering. The best way is to charge them for the fuel and don't include it with rent.

But my understanding is that's not always possible, or convenient.

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,273
    The Honeywell T4 thermostat has those same capabilities as the T6 and is a little less expensive. 

The T10 and the T6 can be installed at the equipment and connected to a wired sensor to prevent the tenant from messing with it. 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,443
    ChrisJ said:

JohnNY said:

What stops the tenant from bypassing the thermostat with a paperclip?
    Or buying their own $30 thermostat and putting it on the wall?
    Or tilting the t87 until the set point is where they want it or removing the stop.
    ChrisJ
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,676
    edited December 2022
    I wonder if I could make a Landlord Thermostat that has all the looks and features of a regular thermostat. The insides would only have 2 wires for a thermocouple temperature sensor and 2 wires to operate the digital display. No matter what the tenant did with the adjustments the thermostat would only register the actual room temperature and the temperature settings the tenant choose. There would be no actual connection to the boiler room controls.

The thermocouple wires would then connect to a remote control with WiFi capability. That control would be in the secure boiler room and operated the boiler based on the room sensor temperature. The Landlord's engineer (or who ever would get the call for not enough heat) would have access to the WiFi control and be able to see the room temperature and make adjustments accordingly.

But for real... this thermostat is inexpensive by todays standards. You can change the passcode, you just need to remember the pass code to unlock the thermostat. Since we were in the fuel oil business the generally accepted passcode all the employees knew was 1998. The DOT code for fuel oil or diesel on tank trucks.

I wonder if this video will help @JohnNY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOSCUOk4oSk

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-Home-TH4110U2005-T4-Pro-Programmable-Thermostat-1H-1C-Heat-Pump-1H-1C-Conventional

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• ChrisJ

I wonder if I could make a Landlord Thermostat that has all the looks and features of a regular thermostat. The insides would only have 2 wires for a thermocouple temperature sensor and 2 wires to operate the digital display. No matter what the tenant did with the adjustments the thermostat would only register the actual room temperature and the temperature settings the tenant choose. There would be no actual connection to the boiler room controls.

The thermocouple wires would then connect to a remote control with WiFi capability. That control would be in the secure boiler room and operated the boiler based on the room sensor temperature. The Landlord's engineer (or who ever would get the call for not enough heat) would have access to the WiFi control and be able to see the room temperature and make adjustments accordingly.

But for real... this thermostat is inexpensive by todays standards. You can change the passcode, you just need to remember the pass code to unlock the thermostat. Since we were in the fuel oil business the generally accepted passcode all the employees knew was 1998. The DOT code for fuel oil or diesel on tank trucks.

I wonder if this video will help @JohnNY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOSCUOk4oSk

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-Home-TH4110U2005-T4-Pro-Programmable-Thermostat-1H-1C-Heat-Pump-1H-1C-Conventional

Hazmat for Diesel is 1993, no?
    It's been 20 years since I thought about that, but I think it's 1993.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,676
    ChrisJ said:

Hazmat for Diesel is 1993, no?
    It's been 20 years since I thought about that, but I think it's 1993.

You are exactly right. There was a spec of dirt on the picture I referenced for that number. 1993

No wonder that combination padlock wouldn't open!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ChrisJPC7060
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,083
    Do they still make the Accustat?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,406
    I picked up about a half a dozen Mercury T-87s brand new in the plastic at a Church Sale upstate New York a few years ago. I savor them for Steam jobs. Mad Dog
    JohnNY
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,406
    I also hoard mercury Vaporstats & P-Trols...nothing works better and if you don't drop them they don't go bad.  Mad Dog
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    If its an old t87 you can use a calibrating wrench and throw calibration off so when you set for 68 it reads 72 but is actually 68. We had an elderly lady once who wanted a new thermostat so we put in a new T87 for her and she loved that it was new looking but same as her old one. ONLY problem was she said we made her system not work as well as it use to. She said her friends would always gush about how warm her house was set at 68. Now with new one she says its cold. Come to find out the room temp on old thermostat would go up to like 74 when set for 68. She was dead set on we screwed something up on her system. Well after month of her not understanding that it just happens to be accurate now, we threw the new one out of calibration and she was happy again.
    JohnNYCLamb
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 1,001
    I just saw that thermostat you are looking for in the last 2 weeks.
    I will do some searching for you.
    JohnNY
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 1,001
    edited December 2022
    Here it is: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Robertshaw-RS1100-72-1H-Programmable-Thermostat-w-72F-Max
    It's not a Honeywell, or a T87, but it might work for you.
    I will keep searching.

Here is an old HH thread. It might have some info for you: https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/97171/t-stat-for-rental-property