Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furniture in front of hot water baseboard

Options
I know that placing a dresser without feet will completely block that section of the baseboard, but what about a dresser/bookcase with a closed back that's on feet, leaving the baseboard inlet open - will that be enough circulation for the hot air?

Also: a sociological question: how do I convince other family members that this is an issue. The basic answer is: why are you worrying about this, the house gets warm just fine. But I'm guessing some of the heat is just being lost to the outside because the outer wall gets warmer, instead of the room.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,864
    Options
    When the thermometer hits the lower digits, and that NE wind begins blowing I pull the couch a couple of inches away from the 2 built in radiators and take the top off the 1 by the staircase. Once the weather breaks it all goes back,
    In_New_England
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,335
    Options
    It's purely a matter of air circulation. If the air can get in to the bottom of the baseboard, and easily back out the front of the top (depending on the design of the baseboard) it will heat just fine. If it can't, it won't. I'd make sure that anything with a closed back is a couple of inches clear of the front of the baseboard housing.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    In_New_England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options

Before these grills were added to 6 convectors in a large lunch room, they did not heat very well at all.
    Some of the 6 has solid plywood under them as part of the box.

So air flow makes a difference.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I suppose if it is a tall bookcase/ dresser it forces the warm convection currents up along the cold outside wall, but it is still within the building, just not a accessible to someone standing in front of fin tube.
    You can certainly feel the heat above the fin tube and see the curtains move, as indication of the convection currents.

Making sure the fins are kept Clean also assures the operation. Behind furniture it could be plugged a bit with dust or dirt, maybe pet hair >:)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    In_New_England