Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Draining Steam Boiler

Options
tron_
tron_ Member Posts: 2
Hello,

I recently bought a home with a steam boiler and I have been trying my best to learn as much as I can about how these boilers work and the proper maintenance they need. I am trying to figure out how to drain my boiler (it is a Utica boiler, not sure of the exact model as I'm not officially moved in yet).

The boiler has an automatic feeder and a low water cutoff. The water in the sight glass appears too high and is pretty brown and I am planning to drain the boiler once a month.

When it comes to draining the boiler, I'm a little confused on the exact steps. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

1. Attach hose/bucket to boiler drain
2. Drain boiler until LWCO light turns on (indicating boiler has been drained)
3. Repeat 1x every month until water in the boiler is clean

Is this correct? Do I need to turn the boiler off before draining? Should I crank my thermostat up before doing this procedure? Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    What type of low water cutoff? (model no. or picture would help). If it's the float type, you blow it down from a valve attached to the bottom of the float chamber. Once a week, more or less. If it's the probe type, there is no need to blow the boiler down at all -- once a year, maybe.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Don't drain it monthly. Don't even drain it yearly. Keep the PH above 9 and you won't have brown water any more. Listen to Jamie regarding the LWCO
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • hadeone
    hadeone Member Posts: 63
    Options
    How do you guys keep the ph above 9?  
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    With ph test strips usually available at a drug store. Test the PH and we can tell you what to add.

I would drain the LWCO if it is a float type as @Jamie Hall explained. If it is a probe type it should be removed and the probe cleaned once a year.

Try the boiler drain valve to see if it will open, if not leave it alone for now. It should be opened 1 or 2 times /year to exercise the valve.

If you water level is high drain enough through the drain valve or low water cut off to get the water down to 1/2 a glass or the normal water level if marked on the boiler.

Then keep an eye on the water level. If it keeps going high the feeder or low water cut off or manual feed valve could be defective.

If it keeps going high shut the make-up water off manually and feed it manually when it needs water and check the water level every few days. More often when the weather is cold
  • hadeone
    hadeone Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Thank you.  I’ll investigate my LWCO.  I already monitor and add water manually.  Ever since I replaced a defective vent water loss went down significantly.  The valves on the boiler and the return work, i drained the water from both at the end of last season and refilled.  

Ill get the strips and report back.  
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    I raise my PH with Rectorseal's 8-way product. There are a lot of similar products out there, but this one is reasonably priced an easy-to-use liquid, and doesn't cause harm like some of them (cough cough Surge-X)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    hadeone