Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Building a Pressure Tester with Sharkbite

Options
Marvin007
Marvin007 Member Posts: 52
edited December 2022 in Radiant Heating
I have built a 1/2” pressure tester with sharkbite. I have it connected to a straight piece of pex 300ft room temperature. I have tried it with a few different 300ft straight pex loops.

I have put air in the pex at 100 psi. After 6 hours I have lost about 7 PSI from my current loop. I have use tape and pipe dope on the metal fittings not the sharkbite connector. I have also put soap water on the connections but have not noticed any bubbles forming.

Does sharkbite seal correctly with 100PSI of air or should I expect problems?

Here is a picture of my connections.

SuperTech

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    Air temperature change may account for 7 PSI change. I bet if the tube is placed in the sun, the pressure would increase.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    MikeAmannrick in AlaskaMarvin007
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Try repressurizing to 100 psi then observe for about 24 hrs. As above, air temp change and slight relaxing of the Pex on initial pressurization my account for your initial loss.
    Marvin007
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,137
    Options
    If you pump air with a compressor the air is warm or hit. As it cools you could lose some pressure. Put the whole test set up in bucket  of water to find any small leaks. The air valve itself could be leaking 
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterManrick in AlaskaPC7060Marvin007
  • hot_rod
    Options
    If I were to build a reusable tester I would use the Nibco Wrot Racer fitting. The release collar is much, much easier to release. No need to use that cheesy plastic release tool. Or hammer a channelick against the ring🤓
    And they claim it is a reusable connection. I don’t think SharkBite are intended to be reusable
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Marvin007
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    edited December 2022
    Options
    let's see p1/p2 = t1/t2
    let's say it is 20c and falls to 0c
    114 psia/p2 = 293k/273k
    p2 = 106 psia ~= 92 psig

so it if falls from 70 f to 32 f your change in pressure is plausible. if it is in conditioned space you have a leak.
    Marvin007
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    Pex stretch
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    MaxMercy
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    Does it stop dropping after a while? When I'm pressure testing, I'll top it off once it twice during the first few minutes/half an hour—but I usually leave it under pressure for at least a day, often longer.
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,159
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    If you pump air with a compressor the air is warm or hit. As it cools you could lose some pressure. Put the whole test set up in bucket  of water to find any small leaks. The air valve itself could be leaking 
    Agree, I learned the hard way 30 years ago that gauges leak!
  • Marvin007
    Marvin007 Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2022
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    The valve in the valve stem was leaking. I have since started over with a new valve stem and used a 6” long piece of 1/2” aquapex wih a plug in the end and 2 cinch clamps. I have tested it in a bucket of water no air bubbles forming that I can see. Once I can get it to have a somewhat stable psi (as expected over 24hours or so) I will know my pressure tester works. Is 50 or 60 psi using air ok or should I be testing at 100 psi? This is for radiant loops.

I am still testing to see if I have a tiny leak over a 24 hour period.

• hot_rod
    Options
    Never hurts to put a cap on the valve stem after you pump it up. The tube and fittings can certainly handle 100 psi.

It’s hard for any size leak to hide from 100 psi🧐
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    You can put a piece of tape on there and make 3 marks, one at the needle, and 2 at 2 of the marks on the scale and can tell very precisely if the position of the needle changed. Sort of a poor man's mirrored scale.