Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol main set to 5 psi and gauge reads 5 psi

Options
Greetings, this is my first winter with steam heat and I've already learned a lot from lurking here, but now I have a question in haven't found answered already.

My pressuretrol "main" is set to 5 psi. Is that wrong? Also I noticed that when the system is running the pressure gauge reads around 5 psi. I've read that these gauges are often incorrect, but the boiler is only about 2 years old.

Thanks for any insight

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Pressure set way too high.
    Turn the screws on the top until the right side drops down to just below 2.
    The left one should go down to .5

Gauge is probably correct.
    But lowering the pressure to below 2, you will see that the gauge barely moves.
    They are required for this range of 0-30, but are really useless for practical use.

You can add a 0-3 PSI gauge next to it with a little piping.

System works better with less pressure.
    bburd
  • Markinboston
    Markinboston Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks very much!

I made the changes you suggested and the system seems to be working much better: previously one of my varivalve vents was spitting water and it hasn't done that after the change. Also, on a different radiator water used to leak out of a the seam near the top of the valve which connects it to the pipe, have not seen that since. Finally my danfoss thermostatic vent seems to be working, where previously it seemed like the higher pressure was overwhelming it.

Should I try to go even lower? I remember reading that .5 psi is all I should need?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options

Should I try to go even lower? I remember reading that .5 psi is all I should need?
    Yes. And 1 on the differential 
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    To go much lower you would need a new boiler. Your boiler is probably oversized and that's why it builds pressure. A correctly-sized boiler (all too rare) won't build any significant pressure and that is the goal.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options

Thanks very much!

I made the changes you suggested and the system seems to be working much better: previously one of my varivalve vents was spitting water and it hasn't done that after the change. Also, on a different radiator water used to leak out of a the seam near the top of the valve which connects it to the pipe, have not seen that since. Finally my danfoss thermostatic vent seems to be working, where previously it seemed like the higher pressure was overwhelming it.

If it ain't borke, don't fix it. Steady as you go...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England