Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HelioPEX Alternate Kink Repair…1/2” Coupler?

Is using a PEX A coupler on HelioPEX for a repair an acceptable way to cut a kink out and rejoin the 2 pieces of HelioPEX in a radiant floor loop?

The reason I ask, I have a kink in the center of one of my loops and I’ve tried to heat it up to remove it. There happens to be pressure on it and a twist in the pex pipe. When I heated it the twist caused the pex to turn a bit. I don’t feel confident that this repaired area wouldn’t leak in the future. The risk of a future leak is too costly and time consuming.
Mosherd1

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    You gotta get the pressure off of it and the water out of it to repair it with a heat gun.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Marvin007
    Marvin007 Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2022
    There is no water in the pex yet. New install. The pex is just going up. Here is what is looks like after a 2nd attempt. You can see the text is now straight. Would this pass an inspection or would it need to be replaced?

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Its fine.
    IronmanMarvin007
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    The tubing is fine, but if you’re only using one single tube plate in each joist bay (as it appears from your pic), you’re probably not gonna get enough heat output from the floor.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Marvin007
  • Marvin007
    That pic happens to be right where a kitchen cabinet is on the upper floor. I was saving a few feet off pex in that loops in order to cut my total number of loops from 11 down to 10.

Thanks
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    I'd run it
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Marvin007
    edited December 2022
    I'd run it
    You would use the pex as is or would you rerun the pex? Just checking if your response had a typo in it (run /rerun?)