Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler Natural Gas Smell

Options
AdamNJ
AdamNJ Member Posts: 3
I have a Williamson GSA-100 boiler that was installed about a month ago (natural gas, steam heat). There is a natural gas smell that comes from the boiler mainly when it fires up. The natural gas smell is noticeable in the basement, but not continuous (like when the pilot light is out). There is no smell when the boiler is off. I spoke with the company that installed it and they said there is a gas puff when the boiler fires up and recommend installing something similar to a dryer vent in the boiler room. Previously I had Burnham boiler and did not have this issue. Are the Williamson boilers known for this? Is this a common issue? Thanks.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    There shouldn't be enough gas to smell it, in the basement. It sounds to me like there is a leak at a pipe joint after the gas valve or a burner tube isn't properly seated or is not fully firing. It should be checked by the installer. Better safe than sorry!
    EdTheHeaterManSTEAM DOCTORreggi
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,833
    Options
    If the installer wants to drag their feet on correcting the problem, you can always call the gas company. They can use their electronic sniffer to locate the source of the gas smell. Just know that they probably won't fix the problem, and they may turn off your gas until the problem is resolved.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    If the installer wants to drag their feet on correcting the problem, you can always call the gas company. They can use their electronic sniffer to locate the source of the gas smell. Just know that they probably won't fix the problem, and they may turn off your gas until the problem is resolved.
    and that should get a better response from the installer!
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Where are you located in New Jersey, I’m from Woodbridge township, if not to far I could take a look and help you out
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    Post pics of gas burners. I had that once and it turns out that one of the burner tubes were bent.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
    Options
    Fred said:
    There shouldn't be enough gas to smell it, in the basement. It sounds to me like there is a leak at a pipe joint after the gas valve or a burner tube isn't properly seated or is not fully firing. It should be checked by the installer. Better safe than sorry!

Fred?

Is that really you?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    @AdamNJ

I have a WM EG series which is basically identical to what you have and I've never smelled anything from it.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    @ChrisJ The one and only. How are you?
    reggiethicalpaul
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Fred said:
    @ChrisJ The one and only. How are you?
    I'm good.

• Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 286
    Options
    A leaking pilot tube will do that as well.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Must be a small leak after the main gas valve could be pilot tubing.

Once lite, and the draft established, that gas may be drawn out of the basement up the flue pipe.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    Just a note to the OP, I have a boiler about your size and I have spent many hours right next to it when it is starting, stopping and firing, and I have never caught a whiff of NG. I am sensitive to the smell.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,833
    Options

Just a note to the OP, I have a boiler about your size and I have spent many hours right next to it when it is starting, stopping and firing, and I have never caught a whiff of NG. I am sensitive to the smell.

Paul, you are sensitive to everything!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ethicalpaul