Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Structure for PTC graphene and tile

Options
scober
scober Member Posts: 2
I have linoleum as a substrate and I don't want to pull it up. At first I figured floor level compound and ditra, but the guides say no to the primer and leveler on lino, stating the glue beneath will let loose.

If I go cement board for a backer, what's the thinnest and cleanest option for this form of install? More so how do manage the hazard of gouging or destroying the Graphene while effectively bounding the backer board to the lino and 1/2 ply substrate?

TIA for input!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    Real honest to gosh linoleum? If so, that guide is right. The glue holding the linoleum material and its backing (usually jute) to the subfloor is very weak. Further, there are very few adhesives of any kind which adhere to linoleum. I've hit this sort of problem from time to time, and the best options for flooring over old or damaged linoleum which can't or shouldn't be removed (usually historic value) are floating floors -- but that won't do for radiant.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    pecmsg
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Doesn’t older version contain asbestos. So sanding it to get a rough surface may not be a good option. Is it over a concrete slab, or wood?
    Maybe visit some of the tile online groups, TCA, etc
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • scober
    scober Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I had it tested for asbestos, hence why I don't want to rip it up. Can't sand it, same issue. It's over top 5/8 plywood