Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam wet return

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
General statement working on 175,000 btu steam boiler the return pipping looks like 1 inch copper going roughly 30 feet along the floor , should that be a minimum of 1-1/4 or it doesn’t really matter ?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Be nice if it were bigger -- it wouldn't clog so often -- but keep in mind that the flow in a wet return is pretty small. At your boiler size, you are looking at only about a quart and a half per minute...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    Only question it because the homeowner saw water spitting out of the vent
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I just did a 177,000 input boiler and used 1" copper for wet return.
    Did the math/homework and it was all that was needed.
    (Plus I had the 1" in stock ;) )

Now if it was plugged, or you have wet steam, faulty air vent or steam main with water pocket, high steam pressure,..... then maybe the spitting problem.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Snowmelt said:

Only question it because the homeowner saw water spitting out of the vent

Lots of reasons for that other than an undersize wet return! Too much pressure, too fast a vent, wet steam... the list goes on.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    Most likely wet steam , I’m guessing in that , the pressure trol was set at 1.5 I’m going to replace the gauge , the near boiler piping wasn’t the best , bare minimum with 2 tees instead of three take off, lots of rotted pipe that was changed out. I’m going to take a picture in a few days , it’s still working , just not the best set up
    mattmia2