Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Goodman furnace not turning on

amgill1
amgill1 Member Posts: 3
New board and transformer. Power to the board but no activity, no light at all. What else could be the cause?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,828
    edited November 2022
    Many things. it all depends on the model number. and if the wires are connected correctly, and lots of other stuff. I hope that was not too technical to understand. I can sometimes talk over a non professional's head.

What was the part number of the board?
    What is the model number of the goodman?
    How old is the goodman?
    Was the board and the transformer professionally replaced or is this DIY?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    HomerJSmith
  • amgill1
    Wiring wasn’t a problem, very straightforward. Same readings and scenario as before parts were replaced. Solar company added another electrical panel then no more furnace when they turned the power back on. GMS80904BNCA is the model number. Going to be a week before anyone else can come out for a second opinion. The last guys diagnosis was wrong so just trying to get some ideas as I’m all out of them! Thanks in advance 
  • amgill1
    Board part number 50A55-743 (Emerson)
    Furnace model Goodman GMS80904BNCA
    It's about 12 years old but was just checked out 3 weeks ago in prep for winter and was in “perfect shape”.
    The solar company sent a Local HVAC tech who basically came out and told me what parts to replace. Repair was DIY
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,385
    Hello @amgill1,

Divide and conquer, is there 24 VAC at the secondary of the Transformer ? Any Fuses ? Check limit and safety switches. See Red question marks on drawing.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    You're leaving something out. Why was the board and transformer replaced? 
    HomerJSmith
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited November 2022
    amgill1 said:

was just checked out 3 weeks ago in prep for winter and was in “perfect shape”. The solar company sent a Local HVAC tech who basically came out and told me what parts to replace.

What did the solar company do to your electrical panels? Is neutral bonded to ground in the main panel and ONLY the main panel. There is a well known problem with furnace igniters and portable generators where the igniter doesn't work because neutral is not bonded to ground in some portable generators.
    I DIY.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,842
    amgill1 said:

Board part number 50A55-743 (Emerson)
    Furnace model Goodman GMS80904BNCA
    It's about 12 years old but was just checked out 3 weeks ago in prep for winter and was in “perfect shape”.
    The solar company sent a Local HVAC tech who basically came out and told me what parts to replace. Repair was DIY

Was in perfect shape yet let's change these parts?

Where's your service provider?
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    Did you check to make sure you had 120 volts at the service switch?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    Almost always if a problem arises after someone did something, it's something about what they did. In this case, likely nothing to do with the furnace at all, but something wrong with the solar power installation. Which wouldn't surprise me a bit.

So... you really have two choices. Get the solar power company back and have them make sure that their installation didn't mess up something (like the grounds and neutrals, as mentioned), or get a qualified electrician in to do the same thing.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,385
    Hello @amgill1,
    amgill1 said:

New board and transformer. Power to the board but no activity, no light at all. What else could be the cause?

My guess from here is that the Solar company inadvertently cut the thermostat wires causing "no activity, no light at all". The additional new overabundance of Photons did not hurt anything.

With the dead furnace complaint the Solar company sent out a Tech that did virtually nothing except suggest what to load the 'Parts Cannon' with. @amgill1 loaded and fired the 'Parts Cannon'. And not unexpectedly it did not fix the situation.

@amgill1 you need to get a multi-meter for yourself or a Tech, Electrician, handy friend etc. that can actually spent 10 Minutes doing actual real electrical troubleshooting. Then you will know what part to actually change or repair to return the furnace to operation.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    Larry WeingartenHomerJSmith
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited November 2022
    Yes, why the board and transformer replacement??? I would take a volt meter and measure the incoming voltage at the receptical. Has any other electrical anomalies occur in anywhere else in the house? Always, a dropped neutral will allow 220V to travel thru joined 115V circuits even if temporary. That would do a number on your Goodman. One would expect light bulbs, etc to burn out on other circuits.
    115V circuits are joined thru the neutral conductor (the white wire).
    You probably blew out the new transformer & board. If that furnace has an induce draft motor, that's probably dead, too.

That will give you something to think about and check.